Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your preferred rest at the shooting bench for grouping your shots? Lead sled? sight vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your preferred rest at the shooting bench for grouping your shots? Lead sled? sight vise?

What is your preferred rest at the shooting bench for grouping your shots? Lead sled? sight vise?

I like using sand bags. The range I use provides nice canvas bags.

Comment

If you call around, I wouldn't be surprised if a range near you had bags.

Comment

a 25 lb bag of #6 bird shot set in a wooden cradle i made is what i use

Comment

I use the Lead Sled for extended magnum shooting, and a sand bag for the rest. Many times though I end up just using the coats and kids blankets piled in the back seat, off the hood of the Toyota.

Comment

Harris Bipod, that's what I use to shoot ground hogs so that's what I use to sight-in and practice from.

Comment

When "working" the .300 Win. Mag. I use a buddys Lead Sled(he's got a 7mm STW). As for the rest as said, Sand bags, or go to the range and use their bags.

Comment

RCBS RASS other than that sand bags or bean bags, other than that a heavy coat or coveralls.

Comment

Across the hood of the truck on a Field Jacket!

Comment

Backpack or blankets on the ground seem to work.

Comment

Across the hood of the truck on a folded gun case. It works just fine, is smaller then a lead sled, and is much cheaper.

Comment

i'm a backpack-across-the-hood of the truck or off the tailgate guy. it is the same pack i'll be hunting with and frequently using as a rest in the field. i may not get 1/4" groups at the range, but it doesn't seem to matter in the field.

Comment

I use the Lead Sled when I'm developing loads to ensure that its the load and not me when they don't go through the same hole. It is also great for a .270 on up to be sure I can shoot dozens if not hundreds of shots without a sore shoulder at the range. It has been a Godsend developing high end loads for the big .300s and the .375. I feel very little recoil on my shoulder and the load testing never suffers from jerking or flinching. I also use a Harris bipod and rear sandbag for a lot of my bench shooting.

Comment

At the range, I use an adjustable Hart forend rest with flat sandbag and a rabbit ear bag for the buttstock. Bombproof combination for tight groups and zeroing in the varmint rifles.

Comment

I've used a sight vise, bags, jacket or soft gun case across the hood of the truck or from inside the bed on the tailgate or side of the bed, the seat of my four-wheeler. Had about the same results with them all. I only shoot rifles for huntin so if I'm in a 3" group at 100 yards I'm happy but I am usually inside 2".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad