Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite gun oil and solvent? They will be used for cleaning and oiling rifles and shotguns. And also how well does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite gun oil and solvent? They will be used for cleaning and oiling rifles and shotguns. And also how well does

What's your favorite gun oil and solvent? They will be used for cleaning and oiling rifles and shotguns. And also how well does CLP work?

MAT, I have said on here before I use a lot of kerosene when cleaning my guns. The initial bore brush is wet with k-1 and does a excellent job of getting rid of powder fouling. I clean the bolt and trigger assembly (if necessary), with clean k-1. It cleans any crud out and leaves a very thin film of light oil. K-1 will also displace any moisture.
    Yes, it does have an odor so I leave my guns out until it evaporates and eventually looses any odor. Hoppies 9 is 75% K-1 plus some other stronger solvents and perfume. I don't use CLP.
    Tip: if you have an oil soaked stock, K-1 might cut some of that oil without harming the finish. I have done that on a few rifles and some military surplus rifles that were soaked with heavy oil.
    RemOil is a favorite of mine, but I recently am trying another friction reducer called MotorKote. It bonds at the molecular level with steel. I am using it on high pressure areas like mating surfaces on locking lugs, etc. If you want to see a demo of it just google MotorKot and watch the demo video. Very impressive. (yes, I am using it in my vehicles, and no, I do not work for MotorKote). Jim

Comment

There are many good solvents out there but here are the ones I've gravitated to over the years:

Hoppes #9 - general cleaning the bore. Good for removing powder residue.

Barnes CR-10 - Cleaning copper fouling. Quickest, cleanest and easiest to remove built up copper periodically to make your barrel spotless.

RemOil - for oiling inside and out.

Flitz Polish - for polishing bolts, stainless parts and removing burn stains on revolver cylinders and removing rust spots/polishing old bluing. Usually on a felt pad with a dremel.

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner for removing crud and rust from metal in conjunction with RemOil or Flitz depending on conditions.

Comment

RemOil
        Hoppe's
        Lucas Gun Oil
        WD40
        I never apply any lubricant directly on a gun. I put it on a clean cotton rag, apply it to the metal and immediately wipe any excess off with another clean, dry rag.
        Bore solvents etc are applied to a patch but never directly from a container to the firearm itself.
        Rust (when it does occur) removal is accomplished with 0000 steel wool and WD40.

Comment

I like mpro-7 and hoppes

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
            by 99explorer
            Aileen Carol Wuornos was an American serial killer. In 1989–1990, while engaging in street prostitution along highways in Florida, she shot dead and robbed...
            Today, 09:44 AM
          • Just Right
            by jhjimbo
            Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
            06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
          • Reply to Just Right
            by FirstBubba
            labrador12

"... I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! ..."

A handgun is to get you to your long gun! LOL!
            Today, 09:34 AM
          • Reply to Just Right
            by dewman
            Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing....
            Today, 09:33 AM
          • Reply to Just Right
            by FirstBubba
            Lot's of folks carry the 9mm. In fact, several federal agencies have dropped the .40 S&W for the 9mm.
            I think and the agency I'm most familiar...
            Today, 09:31 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X