Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every kind of ammunition is back on the shelf in the farm store, except rimfire .22. How is the ammo situation in your area? any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every kind of ammunition is back on the shelf in the farm store, except rimfire .22. How is the ammo situation in your area? any

Every kind of ammunition is back on the shelf in the farm store, except rimfire .22. How is the ammo situation in your area? any bricks of .22? when do you think that .22 will be avalible like it was before?

I tried to buy some .38 Special ammo today at my local Gander Mountain store, but there was none in stock.
    Plenty of .40 S&W however, of every type you might want.

Comment

I have seen the same thing. When you do see .22lr like at a gun show the price is still high. I am looking for .38spl non +P and am having a hard time finding them.
      At a recent gun show there were more people than I have seen in years. Almost anything you might want was there if you were willing to pay.

Comment

At a nearby "mom & pop" type store, they keep some .22 ammo on the shelves.
        Know "hoarders" and unknowns are only sold a box or so. Regulars and known "non-hoarders" can by bricks.
        They "always" have .22LR in stock. ...at decent prices!
        The "big box" stores can't and/or won't restrict sales to service customers. They're just about the "profit"!

Comment

Many of the gun stores are keeping the .22lr and some other handgun ammunition behind the counter and/or in the back. I know 100% that Gander Mtn. in Huber Heights does this and so does Olde English along with a few others I visit regularly. They do this to keep the gun sales up, if you buy a .22lr gun they will sell you "X" amount of ammo. They got just as pissed off as the rest of us with the hoarders. Unfortunately this hurts the people that already have guns that are looking for ammo, but keep in mind they make money off of gun sales and very little on ammo and no one is going to buy a gun they can't shoot because they can't get ammo for it.

Comment

I talked with the sports-counter guy at my local Walmart a while back. He said they get .22 ammo in all the time, but the hoarders find out when deliveries are scheduled and are lined up to buy it all up. They have a 3-box limit, but can't keep any in stock.

Comment

Drover1 is right on point with what I have found. In CA we have a chanin of sporting goods stores called Big 5. They get deliveries every Thursday. They get bricks every week that go to guys that are waiting before the store opens!!!I can even call in advance to find out what's coming. I've been able to fnd everything but bricks of 22lr.

Comment

Somehow people know when the deliveries are being made and snap up the .22 (single boxes). My acquaintances at a couple stores say there are smart-phone apps to get the delivery info, and that people are waiting for the stockings. Nothing available in the way of .22 bricks. Thousands of rounds of .40, but I have no interest. Apparently not many do.

In December, Cabelas in Glendale, AZ surprised us and had a pallet of good-quality .45ACP on sale ($20/box). I bought a couple of their half-price ammo cans and filled them with this ammo. Slightly amusing when the clerk tried to help by lifting one of the ammo cans onto the check-out counter.

Comment

22LR available in Hawaii. A firearms store had $50/brick Remington pre-orders mid-December 2013 where you pay and wait for product arrival. Per the store, order was delayed because the supplier was bundling multiple orders together including more 22LR so they lowered the price to $40/brick if you had a $50/brick pre-order. There was no limit on how much you could buy, I bought 4 bricks. Another firearms store on Jan 3, 2014 offered AE 22LR 500rd/brick $22.99 but I didn't buy any. 9mm brass-cased sale price $250/1000rd, $299 regular price. Stores here post sales on Twitter. The "normal" price for 22LR 18 months ago was about $37/brick for plated CCI. How do Hawaii ammo prices compare?

Comment

808fng;

What is hunting like in Hawaii? I may have to spend 6 months to a year there. I heard getting your deer rifles shipped to Hawaii is a a real pain.

Comment

Here in Nevada we are about the same. Even .223 and 9mm are easy to find but .22 still scarce. The guy at WalMart said things are getting better. Now when he gets an order in he isn't sold out until 2 or 3 pm instead of 10 min after he puts them on the shelf.

Comment

RockySquirrel, I tried to post some urls with information for you but F&S thinks the post is obscene and won't let it through.

I live on the most populated island, there's not much hunting here except for pig with dogs and knife, which I don't do. I've hunted Axis deer and Mouflon sheep on Lanai, there are bow, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. There are also private hunts you can go on.

Look on Hawaii.gov and dept of land and natural resources for info. Look up Honolulu police dept for info on firearms. There are time limits to register your firearm, read carefully and stay out of trouble.

Comment

Ammo shelves are looking much better in Georgia, except for .22. Reloading components are still tough though. I searched most of 2013 for Varget powder and big Berger bullets. I finally got a pound of Varget after searching over 25 stores between Atlanta and Butte Montana. I found a box of Berger bullets in Tennessee. I've had a tough time shooting long range in the last year due to lack of good components. The big Bergers, Sierra Match Kings and A-Max bullet are rare.

Comment

It's the same here in Coastal Georgia. I've started seeing bulk packs of .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 at Walmarts again, and most popular hunting cartridges are staying on the shelves most places. The exceptions are the popular pistol calibers (9mm/38 Spl/45) a couple of rifle calibers (30-30 in particular), and .22LR.
                            The situation is improving, but it won't be all the way back until Walmarts and gun shops can get whole pallets in the door to really capitalize on demand and drive the hoarders out of business.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                              by 99explorer
                              I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                              Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                              Today, 10:19 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by FirstBubba
                              "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                              Today, 10:15 PM
                            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by derek7
                              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by 99explorer
                              Keep it up.
                              We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.
                              Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X