Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have any problem with proper eye relief when hunting with heavy clothing on? My favorite rifle is set with the scop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have any problem with proper eye relief when hunting with heavy clothing on? My favorite rifle is set with the scop

Anyone else have any problem with proper eye relief when hunting with heavy clothing on? My favorite rifle is set with the scope as far back as it can go which is perfect for "normal" sighting in conditions and when hunting with mid weight clothing on. When it is bitter cold and I have on thick coveralls I have to really stretch my head forward to get a proper sight picture. I usually accomplish this by leaving my coveralls unzipped and sloping the stock under my coveralls when I shoulder it to shoot. My newest solution for this is a Ruger M77 compact which has a short length of pull. It almost seems too short without heavy clothing on but the sight picture is perfect with heavy clothes. I have had this issue with most normal length of pull stocks once you throw some heavy clothes into the equation. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

That is a common problem. I do have to lean forward a little with my Eskimo clothes on but I don't really have too much of a problem with any of my rifles. Most of my hunting scopes have about a 4" eye relief so that helps I'm sure. I also use low magnification 2x-3x most of the time and that helps too.

Comment

I use a slip on recoil pad for warmer weather and then shed it when I shed the layers. It will pull on over the existing recoil pad no problem if you pick the right size sip on.

Comment

It is definitely an issue in MN and I usually set the eye relief at the closest distance when I mount a scope knowing that clothing will push it to the farther distance when I am wearing hunting clothes.
        The only rifle where it has been a major issue so far is my Ruger #1 which puts the scope farther forward than most. I will have to buy extended rings to solve the problem.
        What kind of scope are you using?

Comment

Sounds like you need two guns, a hard top and a convertible. Good reason to get another gun.

Comment

JMO~ This is a case for Tip-off mounts or see-thru for Iron sights.as per:jimbo

Comment

The scope I'm using is a Nikon Prostaff.

Comment

Those have pretty good eye relief in the 4" range for most. Sounds like your options are:
                - extended rings
                - shorten length of pull or new stock
                - possibly different scope with more room to slide back or more eye relief. I have found that with more than 4" you are looking at rather than through many scopes that are not "scout" style.
                - carry the compact M77 in cold weather
                Extended rings are probably the cheapest route to modifying your set-up and will let you move the scope back. Usually around 1/2" which might be enough. Good luck. It is a frustrating situation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad