Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend told me that a progressive reloading press makes a round less accurate than a single stage press, is this true? I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend told me that a progressive reloading press makes a round less accurate than a single stage press, is this true? I know

My friend told me that a progressive reloading press makes a round less accurate than a single stage press, is this true? I know the progressive ones jam sometimes but they seem a lot faster

With a single stage press you can weigh every charge. I do not believe you can do that on a progressive press and powder dispensers do have a amount of variance depending on what type of powder is used.
    As far as jams, if it is set up properly a quality progressive should function perfectly. Progressives do have a lot higher output so it depends on your needs which one you use.

Comment

The quality of ammo from a progressive is relevant to the care with which it'sset up and tended during loading.
      The greater the care, the higher the quality of the ammo.

Comment

They dispense powder by volume measurement rather than by weight. For most rifle cartridges and powders, this will be less accurate. It is fine for pistol bullets and lower velocity, lower accuracy rifle cartridges. You will want to weight charges if you expect high levels of accuracy out of your rifle.

Comment

Harry7
          Depending on your volume of shooting, a progressive press will produce an acceptable "grade" of ammo.

Comment

I must agree With FirstBubba.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad