Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was at the range this morning with a friend, sighting in his Remington Model 742 Woodmaster auto-loading rifle. He was shooti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was at the range this morning with a friend, sighting in his Remington Model 742 Woodmaster auto-loading rifle. He was shooti

I was at the range this morning with a friend, sighting in his Remington Model 742 Woodmaster auto-loading rifle. He was shooting Federal Fusion 30-06 factory ammo, and upon inspecting the ejected cases, we found that on one of them the primer was MISSING from the primer pocket. Has this ever happened to you? What could have caused a mishap like this?

My guess is it was a over pressure charge that expanded the primer pocket and it fell out when it was ejected. Measure the base of that shell and see how it compares to the others.

I had a 209 primer on my in line flow INTO the hole in the breech plug. Had to drill it out. Go figure, things happen.

Comment

If you reload stick it in the shellholder, if it doesn't fit I would measure the head to see if it has expanded.

Comment

Good advice above. Only a couple of things cause it.
        Excessive pressure... hot load for his rifle.
        Overbore chamber lets case head expand; unlikely.
        Over sized primer pocket, maybe.

Like jhjimbo says, things happen. I'd watch it carefully and if it happens again, switch ammo or see a gunsmith.

Comment

99, Please forgive me for changing the topic, but how does your friend like that rifle and what ammo did he wind up liking for it? I've often thought about buying that Remington as the rifle sections in NY that I hunt sometimes are thick woodlots near marshy areas and corn fields.

Comment

Betting 10:1 thatthe headspace is excessive on the chamber or the brass was sized way under spec. Measure the over all length and case head size compared to other fired cases and new. Look up the chamber dimension from SAAMI and yours should be somewhere between the max diameter of teh chamber and max case diameter. Unless it was at extreme pressure, brass will rebound from chamber dimension.

Comment

One of the reasons I don't shoot Federal ammo! But that's just me! LOL!

When the firing pin strike ignites the powder, the primer us forced out of the primer pocket and us stopped by the bolt face. As the pressure build within the case and the bullet is forced into the barrel, the pressure pushes the case vack to the bolt face and reseats the primer. That's how hot loads "flatten" primers.
              I would have the locking lugs checked or maybe headspace.
              Sounds like the case was ejected before the primer could be reseated or the bolt wasn't properly "locked" in battery.
              Did one of the shots sound "different"?

Comment

Since it was factory ammo I would suspect your rifle. It possibly could have been one that got through quality control at the factory. I would contact Federal about the situation and see what they tell you.

Comment

One of the reasons I don't shoot Federal ammo! But that's just me! LOL!

When the firing pin strike ignites the powder, the primer us forced out of the primer pocket and us stopped by the bolt face. As the pressure build within the case and the bullet is forced into the barrel, the pressure pushes the case vack to the bolt face and reseats the primer. That's how hot loads "flatten" primers.
                  I would have the locking lugs checked or maybe headspace.
                  Sounds like the case was ejected before the primer could be reseated which means the bolt wasn't properly "locked" in battery.
                  Did one of the shots sound "different"?

Comment

FirstBubba has a good point. If the bolt came out of battery too early, the primer could have been pushed completely out of the pocket. This could have happened by the shooter inadvertently pulling back on the fore end from the recoil of the shot. One thing to check is the cleanliness of the locking lugs(i believe there are 9 or 12 lugs) on the bolt and the corresponding recesses in the barrel. Clean the barrel recesses with a tooth brush and No. 9.
                    I had an 870 that would open on firing and wrote Remington about it and they replied it was designed that way. They said it was to enable a quicker follow up shot. Maybe the 760 has a
                    similar design built in. If it is opening too early, it is a case for the gunsmith to fix.
                    I never had a 760, but have had a few 742's and never had a problem with them. I now have a 7400 carbine semi auto in 30-06 and it functions fine, it is quiet until you pull the trigger then it goes BOOM.

Comment

Some of that last answer was suppose to go to Rocky's question about a rattle in a 760. Coming out of battery too soon still applies to the above 742.

Comment

jhjimbo,
                        You are right bout Remington's pumps, both rifles and shotguns unlocking very easy for a follow up shot. Most of the 870's that I had if I kept backward pressure on the foreend when I shot would almost eject the used case from the recoil. I forgot about that but that may have been the case on the 760.

Comment

It sounds like a Factory HOT load. If all other Brass and Primers looks normal! I'm not real high on Federal Ammo.The Rem/742 has bean around since 1958 to 1980.JMO~ have your friend try other Brands of ammo,Rem-core-Lokt,Hornady,Winchester.

Comment

My dad gave me his old 742, and it had the exact same issue, plus it wouldn't extract the spent casing. I took it to a gunsmith, and the issue is with the bolt, it does not lock properly, which is what causes all of your (and my) problems.

Comment

My friend has ruled out the headspace issue, and is now looking at a change of ammo, leaning toward the Remington Core-Lokt with 150-grain bullets. I will report on the results shortly.
                              He is crazy about the gun for its rapid fire capability, but puzzled about the missing primer, wondering whether there might be a safety issue.
                              I must tell him about LostLure's comment concerning the bolt not locking properly.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad