Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the group. For a new job the significant other will have to move in a few months to a new state, with me to soon fo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the group. For a new job the significant other will have to move in a few months to a new state, with me to soon fo

Question for the group. For a new job the significant other will have to move in a few months to a new state, with me to soon follow. We have decided that it is prudent to rent for a while to see if she likes the job and area. Which means for many months up to a year or maybe 2, my firearms will be in storage in non-hunting relatives house. He lives at a higher elevation so humidity (or salt air) is not really a factor, Other then a good cleaning, what is the groups opinion to the best way to preserve them? And yes his kids are all grown, it is a low crime area out side of a small town and the firearms will all be in a safe or metal gun cabinet. I don’t want to pick them up in 2 years and find a mass of rust or a mouse made a nest in my 870 barrel. What else am I missing?

Check down a few posts and check the advice that I gave Harry7. I think that you will find there the information that you will need.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand why you would have to store your guns. Why can't they go with you?

Comment

Sarge; Went back 20 pages of your posts until early OCT. Apparently your memory is much better then mine. Any chance you can cut and paste it here again.

Dcast; Don't ask. Sore subject right now. Lets say hunting may not be in my future for a while.

Comment

Rocky, Sorry I answered someone elses post on yours. disregard.

Comment

I would think a good coat of remoil (or whatever you use) and throw a few packs of silca (or your preferred dehumidifier) in the safe it would be good enough.

Comment

Like Jay said, then get some of those inexpensive knit gun socks for each gun. When I stored guns for extended periods, I removed critical parts like bolts, if possible, and stored them in a separate location in case the guns were stolen they would be of less value. Also, I put my handguns(and bolts) in a safe deposit box in a bank.
              Photograph all guns and record serial numbers for insurance purpose.

Comment

Any well oiled gun in a stable environment should be fine with a light coat of oil.

Renting is always the best choice when moving to a new area.

Comment

Never would I leave my firearms at anyone's house for that long. The worst happened to the few guns I owned while in Army and overseas. Came home to to rusty POS... I'd take them with me so they could have adequate care and storage. Significant other could move by herself if the guns could not come along, unless it was an overseas move (which I would not do anyway).

Comment

WAM,
                    Now that's a little harsh:-D)
                    I understand where you're coming from but then again, I'm not married:-D)
                    RockySquirrel,
                    I would clean them, run a patch of oil then a dry patch. I use the rifle socks even when I'm not storing for an extended time to avoid the bolt of one rifle banging and dinging up the wood stock of another. I keep a large dessicant bag in my safe. It wouldn't hurt to store them barrel down so no oil runs into the action.

Comment

Hey Rocky, Browning sells an electric dehumidifier that would work in any enclosed area even your metal cabinet.
                      You should also check with your state laws to see if it is legal to store your guns on another property in possession of another gun owner or a non gun owner.

If you’re in the communist bloc states of California or some of those northeastern states you could be breaking their law.
                      It doesn’t hurt to check it out first.
                      Good Luck!

www.browning.com/products/catalog/gunsafes/detail.asp?fid=004F&cid=164&tid=401B

Comment

My prayers are with you Rocky!

Comment

Coat the well with rig grease. They will never show rust. be sure to use a solvent in the barrel before you shoot after using it!

Comment

I suggest you take off the stocks and clean all metal well with Flitz gun cleaner to remove any hint of oxidation. Then coat them inside and out with Flitz gun wax. It will give them a layer of protection that is probably unmatched by any other product than cosmoline. I just wouldn't take any chances or you might get a nasty surprise in a couple of years. Oxidation happens and it is difficult to control the environment in a buddy's house. Prepare for the worst and you have a better chance of happiness down the road.

I for one feel that a good significant other can be better than all the hunting I've experienced in the last 60 years. Best of luck in your move.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                              by DakotaMan
                              I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                              Today, 02:20 PM
                            • Another New Upper
                              by DakotaMan
                              Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                              Today, 12:54 PM
                              by DakotaMan
                              He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                              Today, 02:11 PM
                              by PigHunter
                              That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                              Today, 02:05 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by PigHunter
                              You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                              Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X