Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35 Whelen. Anybody use this round? Pros and Cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 Whelen. Anybody use this round? Pros and Cons?

35 Whelen. Anybody use this round? Pros and Cons?

I am re-posting due to problems with this site.
    The 35 Whelen is a fine cartridge. It will handle any big game in N. America. I particularly like the 250 grn bullet. People report great results with little meat damage(proper bullet). My nephew just bought one used, Rem 700, and he is very happy with it. I would have one if I didn't already own a 9.3x62. Cons? Few, store bought ammo is a little pricey.

Comment

The .35 Whelen has been my number one choice for a big game rifle since 1989 when I traded a Winchester M70 XTR .338 Win Mag and got a like new 1988 Remington M700 Classic. The .35W has put the brakes on many mule deer and elk and I only had to track one more than a few steps and that one was due to a poor high shoulder hit. It has more than enough power to take the largest game at sane ranges under 350 yards or so without the recoil of a .338 Win Mag (which isn't all that brutal with the right stock & weight). My favorite loads are factory 225 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Nosler 225 gr Accubonds. I stay away from the 200 gr Remington loads since my rifle does not shoot them particularly well. I handload a 225 gr Nosler Accubond to 2,700 fps, but most of my game has been taken with 225 gr TBBCs. The only con is ammo availability at the discount stores, although Nosler, Federal, Remington, and Hornady have loads available. If you want to sample recoil on one, shoot some 200 or 220 grain bullets through a .30-06 if you have access to one. Recoil is not savage, but no cupcake either.

Comment

WashintonMountainHunter is the most knowledgeable user of the 35 Welen. I have killed a couple of elk with it and found it a good killer. Easy to Handload and not temperamental in any fashion. Within shorter ranges does everything a 338 will do in my experience. Mine is very accurate.

Comment

Thanks for the input.I have always been intrigued by the 35 Whelan. I recently acquired a 325wsm that I cannot even get brass for, so I am researching a replacement for it.

Comment

Happy Myles, How was SCI?

Cheers

Comment

WAM,
              This was the Dallas Safari Club shindig, not SCI. It was quite an affair, almost as large as SCI. All the big players were there, exhibitors were not booked up or worn out as it is always the first convention of the year. I finalized my hunts for the year,all my serious business done. If I make Tito SCI, all I have to do is socialize and wander nine miles around the convention floor

Comment

Meant to write "It to SCI"

Comment

Douglas:

Are you located close to a Scheel's All Sports? I noticed that they had four bags of new Winchester brass for the 325 the other day in my local in Lincoln, NE. They will pull difficult-to-find items from stores across the area and ship to your local, if you ask.

Best,

Comment

Happy Myles,
                    Yes, I meant to write DSC instead of SCI. I knew better but had a brain cramp anyway. My only out of state hunts this year looks like the trek back to the old place near Craig, Colorado and maybe a trip to Alabama to a friend's lease. Del in KS is coming along to CO, so we will see if he behaves himself better than last time! (Chuckle)

What's the downside of socializing and wandering around the convention hall?

best,
                    WAM

Comment

No downside except sore feet, which gives you a chance to sit down and gossip

Comment

You can always tell first timers to these shows by checking out what kind of shoes they are wearing.

Comment

Happy don't listen to anything WAM says.
                          BTW bought a youth .22 for the boys.
                          I know you got the forest Sitatunga what are you after now? bigfoot maybe? I know you have 2 or 3 of everything else.

Comment

Happy Myles,
                            Last time I hunted with Del in KS, I killed an elk and he even gutted it while I was scouting the route to drag it down the hill. I have not even fired at one since :-(

He has got to be my rabbit's foot this time around! LOL!

Comment

Although I don't own one, I've always wanted one and WAM and Happy keep me salivating. It is perhaps overkill for deer but I really like the .35 caliber in heavy brush. I've shot several deer with a .35 Rem in really thick brush and have actually penetrated 3 inch trees and several saplings on the way to deer. The .35 Whelen would be outstanding in those conditions. It is an outstanding choice for black timber hunting elk sized game. Lots of whollup in a cartridge that won't dislocate your shoulder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad