Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience with electric case prep tools? I have a lot of various brass, some of it military, that needs the pr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have experience with electric case prep tools? I have a lot of various brass, some of it military, that needs the pr

Does anyone have experience with electric case prep tools? I have a lot of various brass, some of it military, that needs the primer pocket re-sized, and was wondering about the LYMAN - CASE PREP XPRESS vs. the RCBS TRIM MATE CASE PREP CENTER. Lyman says all the trimmers and brushes are included, RCBS specifies that some must be bought. Any thoughts?

No, I'm still in the last century doing all mine by hand although I do plug my case trimmer into my Makita cordless drill if I have a bunch of cases to trim. I'm a low volume reloader :-)

Comment

Do the electric case preppers have something to address military crimped in primers pockets? I usually remove mine with a RCBS chamfer took, but after buying 250 machinegun brass pieces, I think I'm getting tendinitis.

I'm not really low-volume, just low-intelligence when it comes to reloading.

I also have considered one of those auto powder tricklers, as: 1. I grew up using IMR stick powders and the habit stuck. 2. That's about all you can find in my neck of the woods for rifle powders, and 3. I'm getting tired of weighing each charge to verify.

Comment

I have one of the RCBS electric prep centers. The tools that come with them are junk. However I took care of that and took a hand deburring tool to my local machine shop along with a couple worn out primer pocket brushes and they cut the deburring tool in half and welded the threaded rods off of the worn out primer pocket tools on the halves of the deburring tool and dechaffering tool and now I have a very good unit. It has three other threaded stations that you can screw primer pocket reamers in along with other tools. It saved me a lot of work when I sat down to get 6000 .223 military cases ready to load. I wouldn't want to go back to doing these chores by hand anymore.

Comment

Sarge,
          6000 cases of .223? Let me guess, you were headed to a prairie dog town? Am I right?

Comment

Yes you are right I was going to prairie dog town.

Comment

Only "lectric" tools on my bench are a bench lamp and a case polisher.
              Don't trust "lectric" scales nor powder dumps. Yeah, weighing each load is slow, but what's the hurry?
              I "would" like to have a "lectric" case trimmer, but I don't use one very often.
              Besides, I'd have to unplug the lamp or polisher! LOL!
              Oh well!

Comment

Thanks for the info, Sarge.
                Bubba, you are truly a most entertaining Luddite.
                No hurry, just don't want to get carpal tunnel from hand reaming all those military primer pockets. The more efficiently I can load, the more time I have to shoot!
                PS- My polisher resides in the garage, due to objectionable noise factor.

Comment

I modified my case trimmer and took the handle off and use a refurbished $29.95 Black $ Decker battery drill and it makes trimming cases a whole lot easier. The battery charger sits on the shelf with a fresh battery in it all of the time. I have a powder measure that came with my kit many years ago but the only time it has been used was when I loaded the 6000 .223 cases with ball powder. All of my other loads that I have loaded over the years have gotten weighed. I don't get in a hurry when I reload.

Comment

'06
                    Luddite?
                    I prefer the Parsimony Principal - "It is pointless to do with more what is done with less."
                    ...or perhaps the K.I.S.S. Principal - Keep It Simple Stupid!
                    You can drive a 12d sinker with an 8 pound hammer, but why?

Back to Sarge. If I were dealing with 6k cases, them [email protected]?m Luddites best get out of the way! I'm gonna be looking for something quicker! LOL!

For crimped primer pockets, I use a RCBS Primer Pocket Swage. Not speedy, but effective. No "lectricity" needed! LOL!

Comment

Bubba-
                      Sounds like the USMC-"If there is a hard way to do anything, that is the way it shall be done."

Comment

I motorized my No. 22 hand grinder!
                        Is that unLuddite enough? LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad