Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a Savage model 11 hog hunter in 308 and I was wondering if I should put a scope on it or just shoot it the open si

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a Savage model 11 hog hunter in 308 and I was wondering if I should put a scope on it or just shoot it the open si

I just bought a Savage model 11 hog hunter in 308 and I was wondering if I should put a scope on it or just shoot it the open sights? Thanks.

Iron sights or a red dot would be my choice.

Comment

There are lots of differing ideas on "hog" hunting. I've shot several hogs from a deer stand. I've killed even more "busting" thickets. I've taken the most ferals with a Ruger "Single Six" with the .22 LR cylinder in place.

From a stand/blind, a scope (low power) is a nice addition.
      From the "brush busting" aspect, a medium (.30-30 Win class) caliber in a short, carbine"ish", iron sighted lever/semi-auto weapon shines. Btush busting ferals is a close-quarters-combat situation so "quick" second/follow up shots are necessary.
      As for the .22? Hog trapping!
      So outfit your rifle to fulfill your personal likes.
      For a scope, I'd consider a variable. Low power for up close and high power to compliment that rangy .308.

Comment

My dad has one (308 too)for deer. I had a scope put on for him. FirstBubba said it best. This is a nice rifle, but it does seem a bit chunky.

Comment

My go to hog rig is a light, handy 30-06 with iron sights. I've never used it over 100 yards on hogs. For up-close and personal iron sights are hard to beat. If I were to scope it I would use a 1-4X.

Comment

I recommend open sights. Big boars are fast and will charge at times. By the time you acquire one in a scope, you might be missing a leg. Hog hunting is close range brush busting with fast moving and dangerous prey. If you do use a scope, make sure it is a low power like a 2x with an exceptionally large field of view.

Comment

The biggest factor to keep in mind is application. Some key questions to ask yourself are: what's the terrain like? How far would the shots be? Are dogs involved or not? Am I pursuing the hogs at night or during the day?

If you're gonna hunt hogs like you would deer, then a decent scope is justified. However, if your gonna hunt in brush where the furthest shot is 30 yards, stay with iron sights. I know red scopes. Are popular, however, unless your in a tactical type setting, they're pointless. Why spend money on a red dot scope when the iron sights do exactly the same thing. The biggest factor of all is comfort. The key is what are you comfortable shooting with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad