Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the sport and I was wondering which rifle was going to be my first. Is there a good recomendation from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone! I'm new to the sport and I was wondering which rifle was going to be my first. Is there a good recomendation from

Hi everyone! I'm new to the sport and I was wondering which rifle was going to be my first. Is there a good recomendation from any-of-you? My price range is $50-500 for now. (the only guns I have ever shot were bolt-actions) they were nice but I just wanted to know other opinions, thanks jay

jaysdragon

Firt I nned to know what part of the country you live in and the biggest critter your going after, deer, elk, moose and perhaps the most dangerous?

Comment

PS plan to spend at least $500

Comment

well besides bolt guns you have semi autos, lever actions , pumps, single shots, all have their place at different times or conditions. as far as calibers go you need to as clay said answer some questions first .

Comment

If you want a bolt-action rifle, the Weatherby Vanguard is a great rifle. I got mine(new) for $399. It comes in 15 different calibers.

Comment

Weatherby Vangard, Marlin XL7 and XS7, Savage 111.

Comment

Get one of the rifles Beekeeper mentioned above in .30-06 or 7mm Remington Magnum. You'll have everything but varmints covered.

Comment

Beekeeper and WA Mtnhunter gave you very good advice. Don't forget a good scope and good quality rings to hold it in place rock solid!

Comment

Marlin XS7, .308 or XL7 in .30-06, .270. or .25-06 - about 300.

Nikon Buckmasters scope - about 200.

After rings and mounts it will likely go over 500, but this is about as well as you can do, and it will be worth every penny.

Comment

Bight the bullet and get the Remington 700 in .308 or 30-06.

Comment

Ruger M77

Comment

You might want to try your local gun shops and find a clean good used gun in the caliber you want it should save you some money. Any thing in 7.08 up to 30.06 should do you just fine.

Comment

I know you can get a Remington 700 SPS for under $500 easy, thats where I would steer you. Its available in tons of calibers. Like others have said, the scope you put on a gun is just as important as the gun itself.

Comment

marlin xl7 nikoin prosttaf scope all for about 500

Comment

A Ruger M7 .270 has worked for me and with that caliber, you have a wide variety of animals that can be taken.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X