Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here agrees with me that the Ruger M77 is a greatly under-appreciated rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here agrees with me that the Ruger M77 is a greatly under-appreciated rifle?

Who here agrees with me that the Ruger M77 is a greatly under-appreciated rifle?

I never had the 77, but did have the 77 Mk II left-hand in 30-06. It was a real tack driver.

Comment

I've got a 77 Ultralite in 30-06 that I bought new years ago. It shoots very well and I like it if a lot of walking is involved. I don't know that they are under appreciated but I have no experience with the later models of the 77.

Comment

I have a Ruger 77MK II Compact in 223R and one in 7mm/08R its a poor mans Win Mod/70.

Comment

My first center fire rifle was a tang safety M77 in 270. Killed a lot of deer with it.
          I still have it and it is the "family" rifle.
          My son has a newer M77 Ruger international. The bolt does not work as slick as my older gun, but it shoots well enough and is a great gun for the money.
          I have a great deal of appreciation for all things ruger.

Comment

Since it's release to the public, the M77 has been a "best buy for the buck".
            The original 77's straight stock made their magnum calibers uncomfortable to shoot. I had a .300 Win Mag that was absolutely vicious.
            A .22-250 amazed my father-in-law as he watched rabbits vaporize through the 12x Leupold....but he claimed it too "noisy" to shoot.

My favorite all time Ruger "rifle" is their No.1!

Comment

I have a 1976 vintage Ruger 77 in .257 Roberts and it has a nice piece of walnut for furniture and the action is very slick. It also shoots very well. There is nothing whatsoever to complain about with this rifle as evidenced by the fact it is still in my safe. I don't have any experience with the newer 77 Mk II and probably won't unless one drifts by at an extreme bargain.

Comment

I have a 220 Swift M77 tang safety heavy 26" barrel, 7mm Rem Mag M77 tang safety 26" barrel, 308 Win M77 RSI tang safety, 9.3x62 M77 African, and two Ruger handguns, Single Six and 357 Blackhawk SS. I own more Rugers than any other manufacturer of guns. They all shoot very well. Yes, I feel that the M77 is underappreciated.

Comment

Hadda Ruger 77 7mm Mag with factory porting. It was a very good rifle. After Ah had been in Orry-gun (Pac NW) a few years, Ah got rid of everything that wasn't stainless.

Comment

I've owned two Model 77 rifles in .257 Roberts and 7x57mm and was very pleased with both. The .257 was sold to a friend in Chama, NM, and I would not risk a friendship by selling a potential disappointment. The Model 77, in my opinion, is an excellent choice for the field.

Comment

I have have a Ruger 77 tang safety .257 Bob that is very accurate with handloads and Federal +P 120 gr Partitions. I don't think it is the smoothest action ever but works just fine. The trigger is a bit heavy but pretty crisp. Never put a scale on it, but it is probably 4+ pounds pull.

Comment

We had a m77 25-06 tang safety, my father and sister we're hunting with it and accidentally loaded it with a .308 win. bullet, we hammered the bolt open and rammed out the spent casing, to this day we have no idea where the primer went because it was gone, but we sent it back to ruger and they told us it was blown up, not sure about that as the casing never ruptured and the m77 action is extraordinarily strong but we didn't get it back to try, even though it was my grandfathers rifle ruger gave me 50% off a brand new m77 hawkeye in my choice of caliber. Came out pretty good for something that was in no way the guns fault. I love ruger and the m77, still with I had that old girl back even if it wasn't a shooter.

Comment

We had a m77 25-06 tang safety, my father and sister we're hunting with it and accidentally loaded it with a .308 win. bullet, we hammered the bolt open and rammed out the spent casing, to this day we have no idea where the primer went because it was gone, but we sent it back to ruger and they told us it was blown up, not sure about that as the casing never ruptured and the m77 action is extraordinarily strong but we didn't get it back to try, even though it was my grandfathers rifle ruger gave me 50% off a brand new m77 hawkeye in my choice of caliber. Came out pretty good for something that was in no way the guns fault. I love ruger and the m77, still wish I had that old girl back even if it wasn't a shooter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad