Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found some old IMR propellant (IMR 4064) in metal cans with the price of $3.10 written on it. When was the last time a pound o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found some old IMR propellant (IMR 4064) in metal cans with the price of $3.10 written on it. When was the last time a pound o

I found some old IMR propellant (IMR 4064) in metal cans with the price of $3.10 written on it. When was the last time a pound of powder cost this much?

My guess if from the '60's.

Comment

In 1974 I bought WW760 and WW748 from a gunshop in Myersdale, Pa for $1.95 a pound. The last pound of WW748 I bought at Cabelas last month cost me $27.99 + tax a pound.

Comment

Back when Buck was a calf. Ditch the powder and sell the antique cans on eBay.

Comment

Recently found a cardboard box of Sierra bullets priced $3.79 in the back of my powder magazine!
          I'd guess late 60's or early 70's.

Comment

I forgot to mention that there were also two cans of powder in cardboard cans with metal ends. I've been shooting the Hornady bullets that seem to be the same age and the press/dies are Cutler-Hammer(sp?). All very old. It's basically a reloading time capsule. I venture to say the whole set-up cost less than $100 new, including 6 cans of powder and 500rds bullets.
            {The Good Ole Days}

Comment

When I was a lot younger. I started my career in a gunshop working after school and on Saturdays. I have old tins of IMR powder marked $4.64 (inc. tax)
              and that was in 1972.

Comment

ADeaver, As WAM said, the powder might not be any good so sprinkle it on the lawn. The cans however, if in very good condition are worth a lot to collectors. Put them on e-bay and see what they do. I have used old powders and they worked fine but, I knew how they were stored - kept cool in low humidity conditions. By old I am talking powder from the '70's .
                BTW, if you take a whiff of the powder and it smells sour, it is not good. If it smells sweet it is good. Still, without knowing how it was stored I would use it for fertilizer. Jim

Comment

Thanks for the advice and comments gentleman. For the record I will not load the powder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad