Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kimber Montana vs Weatherby Vanguard S2 Range Certified.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber Montana vs Weatherby Vanguard S2 Range Certified.

Kimber Montana vs Weatherby Vanguard S2 Range Certified.

The Weatherby is a better looking rifle, has a accuracy guarantee and if you want is available in some Weatherby calibers. JMHO
    Also, it is a fraction of the cost of the Kimber.

Comment

Well, the Vanguard is probably going to be more accurate than the Kimber by roughly a half MOA. But the Kimber has controlled feed. So if accuracy is your biggest concern go with the Weatherby, but if reliability is your biggest concern go with the Kimber. And I don't know what jhjimbo is talking about when it comes to price, the Range Certified and the Montana are both in the same price range.

Comment

I missed the range certified Weatherby price of $1200. Not a fair comparison though because I do not think the Kimber is guaranteed and it is over $1300. These are MSRP.
        The basic Weatherby is $649.

Comment

The biggest distinction between the two rifles is weight. I'm not going to look it up, but I think the vanguard is around 7.5 pounds and the montana is around 6 pounds. If i wanted a mountain rifle, I'd pick the montana; otherwise I'd go with the weatherby. Can't really wrong wrong with either.

Comment

Both are excellent rifles and either would be a fine choice. It depends a little on how you use them. The lighter Kimber is an excellent rifle for carrying in the mountains because of its lighter weight. Although it isn't guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA, most decent rifles today will do that with a good glass/pillar bedding job and a well tuned load. I prefer the Kimber because of the Mauser style action. Highly reliable for dangerous game and for long trips away from home.

You won't be disappointed in the Vanguard though. My main elk rifle is a stainless Howa 1500 ($375 used) with $300 worth of upgrades (Weatherby deluxe stock, custom glass/pillar bedding and a Timney trigger). It is the same rifle as the Wby S2 RC except for the upgrades. It looks much better (see profile pic) than the Wby RC S2 and shoots .1 MOA - .4 MOA depending on load. Although it is a little heavier than the Kimber, the weight is just fine for mountain hunting. I would expect all the Howa built Vanguard rifles to have excellent accuracy although Weatherby does cull out the most accurate to sell for a higher price.

I suggest hefting them and looking them over to choose the one you really love. I saw a used stainless Vanguard at a sporting goods store a few months ago chambered in .300 Wby. It was in perfect shape and selling for $400. If the barrel didn't shoot .2 MOA, I was thinking of putting a Hart, Bartlein, Kreiger, etc. barrel on it, glass bedding it and shooting quarters at 600 yards for $400-$500 more.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              The Weatherby is a better looking rifle, has a accuracy guarantee and if you want is available in some Weatherby calibers. JMHO
              Also, it is a fraction of the cost of the Kimber.
              This is a little late but for anyone looking to buy either; when I was looking to buy a deer rifle that will last me a life time I looked at both the Kimber and Weatherby. Now as I read stats and info about both amazing rifles I did end up going with the Weatherby Vangaurd S2 RC in .308 so I am able to hunt any big game I wish to. I have never had a problem with this rifle since I got it. Right out the box I bore sighted a Leupold VX-1 on it and was shooting 3 shot groups in the size of a dime at 175 yards. The rifle even came with a certificate showing how good the grouping with it is. Very nice, durable rifle and it will last me till the day I die and I can pass it on to my kids and I am only 15 years old. It is also a very handsome looking rifle; both my dad and brother are jealous of it. It has a hair trigger meaning the trigger is on a plate and the smallest squeeze of the trigger will fire the rifle. This stunning rifle is good for field, bush and mountain hunting. This is what I think about my rifle; cheers and happy hunting!

Comment

This is a little late but for anyone looking to buy either; when I was looking to buy a deer rifle that will last me a life time I looked at both the Kimber and Weatherby. Now as I read stats and info about both amazing rifles I did end up going with the Weatherby Vangaurd S2 RC in .308 so I am able to hunt any big game I wish to. I have never had a problem with this rifle since I got it. Right out the box I bore sighted a Leupold VX-1 on it and was shooting 3 shot groups in the size of a dime at 175 yards. The rifle even came with a certificate showing how good the grouping with it is at 500 yards. Very nice, durable rifle and it will last me till the day I die and I can pass it on to my kids and I am only 15 years old. It is also a very handsome looking rifle; both my dad and brother are jealous of it. It has a hair trigger meaning the trigger is on a plate and the smallest squeeze of the trigger will fire the rifle. This stunning rifle is good for field, bush and mountain hunting. This is what I think about my rifle; cheers and happy hunting!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad