Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody give me a basic, yet detailed explanation as to how you "sight in" a scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody give me a basic, yet detailed explanation as to how you "sight in" a scope?

Can somebody give me a basic, yet detailed explanation as to how you "sight in" a scope?

Please refer to my answer number two to your previous question. We were probably typing at the same time.
    Basically, the point of the whole exercise is to make the cross-hairs coincide with the point of impact on the target, after which the point of impact will be wherever you put the cross-hairs.
    You can't move the bullet holes, so you move the cross-hairs.

Comment

If you are new to sighting in the easiest way to get started is to go to a gun shop that has a laser bore sighter. This will make it easier to at least get semi close to being near where you are trying to aim. Next start with a close target about 25 yards way and shoot from a solid rest. Fire a three shot group before you move anything. Then work your way to hitting the bullseye. Then once your there go to whatever distance you plan on shooting at and repeat the firing process. Remember when sighting in that one shot tells you nothing so don't move anything until firing at least three. Also let the barrel cool down between groups.

Comment

I start with a shot. Then move adjustments to bring the POI toward the 10X. Fire another shot and turn the adjustments - again, bring POI toward 10X.
        Shoot a few groups of 2 or 3 to confirm, letting gun cool between groups.
        Make any final adjustments based on the average of the three groups. That should be your 'hunting' zero. Add any vertical adjustment for the range you expect to shoot at.

Comment

I like to Draw a couple + Crosshairs on a large white paper with a marker and cover them with the crosshairs for a very precise bulls eye and consistent hold on target. Bore sighting will get you on paper and save ammo too. I am no expert though, but the guys I shot with all made their own targets in the way I describe for new rifles and it worked well for me. Take a staple gun to hang targets and most important review range etiquette and safety guidelines. Never touch a weapon with folks down range. If you are not going to a public range make sure you have a safe backstop.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad