No announcement yet.

Scope sighting query. See first answer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope sighting query. See first answer.

Scope sighting query. See first answer.

I have a DPMS with a carry handle.
    The only place to mount a scope is on the handle.
    The gun shot in beautifully at 25 yards.
    My question is:
    With the scope sitting that high above the bore, do I need to make any specific adjustments/allowances at 100 yards or just shoot the scope in as usual, which is 1.5" to 2" high at 100 yards?

Comment

First Bubba -

You have a much steeper parabola now. To get an inch or so high at 100 yards, the bullet will have to rise above the aimpoint, crossing the line of sight. The angle where it crosses the line of sight is now much steeper, sending the bullet higher and farther downrange before it drops through the optical axis again.

Comment

What Barnaby said.

Is the handle removable? I always thought they were useless and would not buy a rifle with one.
        A rail would be more adaptable.

Comment

FirstBubba,
          Another idea. Go to Hornady.com ballistics program and put in a load with a sight height of 1" above bore and look at the trajectory, and other data. Then, change only the height above bore to what you have with the sight on top of the handle. That should give you some idea of the effect on the trajectory for the higher sight.

Comment

BW
            Would sighting in dead on at 100 yards flatten out the parabola to more what I'm used to with, say, my No. 1 Ruger?

jimbo
            Unfortunately. No.
            The arm actually belongs to my eldest. I would have selected a "flat top", but alas, I didn't make the purchase. LOL!
            Scope center to bore center is probably 2"+/-. Haven't actually put a ruler on it.

Comment

F B -

Yes, it wood.

2" ain't nomo than most roffles with large-diameter optics, so it order work OK.

Comment

Ah sight in fur a hundred yardz around here cuz the forests are dense and there's no such thing azza long shot.

Butt whutta lotta folks do elsewhere is measure the distance from the bore centerline to the optical axis and sight in so thet the top of the trajectory is thet much above the crosshairz at whutevva range thet occurz.. Then find the range at which the bullet drops that much below the bore centerline,Thet way, ye have the trajectory completely defined, within yore roffle's useful range.

Mah ole granddaddy don't like me answerin hiz mail, butt we is both Bee Dub!

He needs to git up earlier.

HARHARHARGrrrrWoof!

Comment

Insolent young pup! But Monique won't let me whoop him.

Did you know that, if you fired a bullet with the bore axis perfectly horizontal over flat ground and dropped a bullet from the same height simultaneously, they will hit the ground at exactly the same time?

Comment

Just took her out to 100 yards.
                    I got one word: WOW!
                    Even with the shakes, it's shooting 1MOA at 100 yards.
                    I've got bags, but they're too hard and won't "nest" the rifle. Gotta get some bags of shot.
                    Now I gotta get out 2 or 3 hunnerd yards to see how she does! Them "yodel hounds" better look out!

Comment

Glad you got a shooter Bubba. The trajectory on the higher scope is different but you will get used to it just like you would a traditional 1.5" scope height. It would be worth checking out jhjimbo's advice to use the ballistics calculator on hornady.com just to see the difference and see what to expect.

I shot an AR with a carrying handle mounted scope for quite a while. The trajectory wasn't a problem but the high scope mount does present problems with maintaining a good cheek weld. A Magpul PRS stock really helps with that issue. Enjoy your new toy and God help the coyotes!

Comment

BW,
                        Don't be using words like 'parabola' down around BLB, Al., they will think you have some dred disease-LOL.
                        Robert
                        RTR

Comment

BTW!
                          If any body's interested, from centerline of scope to centerline of bore is approximately 3.75"!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad