Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like the rotary, vibratory, ultra sonic, or other method for cleaning your brass? Liquid cleaners, spinning with polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like the rotary, vibratory, ultra sonic, or other method for cleaning your brass? Liquid cleaners, spinning with polish?

Do you like the rotary, vibratory, ultra sonic, or other method for cleaning your brass? Liquid cleaners, spinning with polish? What is best for your rifle, for your pistol brass? What is your recipe for your media? Do you even clean your brass?

I use a vibratory unit with liquid cleaner and polish in the corn cob media. I usually run my cases for 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours.

Comment

My polisher is a '89 model Lyman "Turbo"-something (label's missing!).
      I use a dry, crushed shell media with a polishing compound added.
      It does a very good job.
      Draw backs.
      I can't use it in the house. It's too noisy!
      Emptying media from finished cases.
      Compound transfer from cases to my hands when unloading polisher.
      Those consarned little media particles that must be "forcefully" removed from flash holes! Dag nabbit! How do they get jammed in THAT tight?
      I use a depriming tool from an old Lee Loader to clear the flash holes!

Up tics!
      It's cheap and it works! Very well!

Comment

Oh yeah!
        I've gotta be cautious about polishing cases that may "telescope" together. Recently polished some .45ACP brass and some .40S&W together. When it was complete, I had to sort, seperate and reclean in two different batches!
        Some cases were so jammed with media, they were difficult to seperate.

Comment

Vibratory unit with Lyman or Hornady corn cob media for for about an hour prior to depriming and resizing to prevent dirty brass from fouling my dies. After resizing, I remove any spots with steel wool and inspect the cases. hard to inspect a dirty case.

Then put back in the media with a little Flitz added to polish them up. Also a used dryer sheet after the initial cleaning will remove the dirt and crud out of the media.

Comment

I have been using the rotary tumbler with corn cob media before depriming. They may tumble for 2-3 hours. I don't clean every time I fire, maybe every second or third time. I have some additives but am not sure how much to add and how to mix. I like the idea of a laundry sheet to clean up the media after use - I'll have to try it.
            I spin a couple cases of each caliber with flitz but for display only, I want the ones I fire to grip the chamber wall as tight as possible.

Comment

I use a Lyman vibrating tumbler too with corn cob media and polishing compound. Does a great job. I run it on the basement floor so it isn't too noisy. I have all the issues firtbubba described above but still consider it one the best investments of my life. Cases really sparkle. When the media gets dirty, I wash it in dish soap and rinse in warm water. I dry it in a cookie sheet and use it again. I've had the same media for the last 10 or 20 years. I usually clean them before de-priming so I don't get media stuck in the primer hole. If I do, I use the Lee trim collet too.

Comment

I use paper towels as needed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad