Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it crucial to use both headphones and ear plugs at the shooting range, or can you just wear ear plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it crucial to use both headphones and ear plugs at the shooting range, or can you just wear ear plugs?

Is it crucial to use both headphones and ear plugs at the shooting range, or can you just wear ear plugs?

Foam or fitted ear plugs are "good enough" if you are the only person shooting, but if you want to really protect your hearing, use the earplugs and ear muffs with at least a 20 db reduction in adition to the ear plugs.

Comment

All hearing protection has a noise reduction number, the higher the number the better the protection. A younger person should seek the maximum protection they can because they are looking at so many years of shooting and other hearing damage like loud music, chain saw, etc.
      As a person ages, they naturally start to lose some hearing in the high frequency range first. So, keep as much as you can during your younger years.
      Every assault on your hearing is cumulative, and once the damage is done there is no bringing it back.

Comment

I use both, once you lose your hearing it's gone!

Comment

I would at least use good ear muffs. It helps to use ear plugs too but good muffs help a lot. I've never paid for great ear plugs but all that I have used seem to work loose during the day and don't always protect you. You don't have to protect both ears, only the ones with which you want to hear.

Comment

Industrial Safety 101 - the absolute "best" (AND cheapest!) are the little yellow, spongy, roll up ear plugs! The "Silencio" ear valve is second best.
            Ear "muffs" are probably the least effective of all hearing protection.
            Muffs ineffectiveness is due more to their application than anything else.

Comment

When I started shooting, hearing protection was not considered important. Ringing in the ears was considered normal.
              Some shooters used little cotton balls, and one friend of mine occasionally used filter tip cigarette filters.
              Others were known to use empty pistol cartridge cases. They were considered wusses.

Comment

I use both. I've already got a little damage from when I was young. As 99explorer stated I started shooting before it was considered important. I still see youngsters blazing away without hearing protection.

Comment

Use both and establish a hearing aid account to use when you reach your 50's. Shooting skeet seriously for 30 years using molded plugs has haunted me greatly. Tinnitus (the ringing in your ears) is indicative of nerve damage, which you can't fix and does not go away. By all means, protect your hearing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad