Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought an as new kimber 8400 in .325 wsm. The only reason was that it was an extraordinary price and it came with with a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought an as new kimber 8400 in .325 wsm. The only reason was that it was an extraordinary price and it came with with a

I just bought an as new kimber 8400 in .325 wsm. The only reason was that it was an extraordinary price and it came with with a high quality leupold scope. My question is.. did I buy a caliber that I'm going to want to get rid of? There isn't a lot of choices of ammo out there and what there is seems to be wicked expensive, but I reload so I hope to get around that. I was looking for a rifle for whitetails on up to elk / moose.

What you bought will fit your needs, Reloading will bring your costs down.

Comment

I have the Montana in that same caliber and absolutely love it. I bought it, like you, for a do-it-all caliber and have been very pleased. Ammo selection is terrible, which has driven me to start reloading. Once I get the hang of it, I am confident I will like the rifle even more.

Comment

I have considered that cartridge, but I have several that already fill that niche. I'm sure it will get the job done if you can afford to feed it!

Comment

If you are not too recoil sensitive, this rifle could be the last you ever need.(Heaven forbid!) Great caliber and nice rifle.

If it were me, I would buy a supply of around 300 good-quality brass cases and enjoy the rifle for the rest of my life. You shouldn't run into any other "hard-to-finds" once you have the cases.

Comment

Good idea, Amflyer, since some of the WSM and WSSM cartridges are headed to the same fate as the dodo.

Comment

My buddy has a Remington 300SAUM and he bought a good supply of cases. I do all of our loading. That caliber I think is on its way out. It seems like you can find my 300WSM rounds about anywhere. It doesn't matter because I reload for it also. I don't shoot factory loads and haven't for probably 20+ years and then only to get brass.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what type of Leupold was it?

Comment

It seem to me you bough the Scope and got the Rifle FREE.

Comment

I looked long and hard at the .325 when I was searching for a dedicated elk rifle. I ended up getting a Tikka T3 used in .300wm but never shot from a guy that worked for my father-in-law. Didn't steel the gun but was really happy with the price. As mentioned, commercial ammo available was my biggest concern. I haven't jumped into the reloading arena yet.

Comment

I wish you every success with that rifle, because the resale value will not be very high.
                      I once built a custom .22-250 when that cartridge was a wildcat. Fortunately, by the time I decided to sell it (it was too heavy), the round had become commercially available and I had no problem selling it.

Comment

That is an outstanding cartridge (as is the .300 WSM). The 8mm bullet is actually a bit larger in diameter than the 7.62mm (or 30 caliber). It is a bullet for very broad applications just like the .30 caliber.

The 8mm seemed to meet with resistance in America. I believe it had something to do with most Americans having relatives that were killed with one in WWII. I know my dad hated them and I kind of resisted them because of that. He had lots of buddies killed by them. Renaming it to .325 was a good PR move, even though most young hunters have forgotten about those casualties by now.

It might not make it but who cares whether it does or not? Buy lots of cases so you can start enjoying it immediately. If it starts to die, buy lots more. Use an outstanding cartridge, rifle and scope for the rest of your life. You shouldn't be buying WSM factory ammo anyway. Its too expensive and you won't be able to tune it to take advantage of the fine accuracy your Kimber has to offer.

There are 34 of our finest bullets in small (125g) to large (250g) on midwayusa.com for the 8mm and plenty more beyond that. That is enough to keep you testing loads for a lifetime and shooting everything from p-dogs to grizzly's along the way. It is fast and hard hitting for larger game but you can load for varmints too. It is becoming my nephew's favorite coyote rifle. They just can't seem to get too far away anymore. Not bad for a cartridge that rivals the .338 Win Mag in power.

Enjoy!

Comment

M.A.T., the scope is a Leupold vxIII 30mm with a lighted dot reticle. The parallax adjustment is on the front.
                          It would not be my first choice in scopes, as I do not like batteries in scopes, but it came with the rifle hanging under it.
                          I certainly will enjoy this rifle! I'll just collect a bunch of brass and load em up.
                          I find the recoil to be not that bad.

Comment

Nice rifle and scope, not in my top 100 of calibers though,,,

Comment

Sounds Like a nice scope, and thanks for answering.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by franchi20
                                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                                Today, 07:40 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                                by franchi20
                                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X