Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you reloaders out there; what is your most commonly loaded caliber, commonly used powders, bullets, primers etc. And how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P-H-W, you are correct that the 6.8mm is the .277 caliber just like the 6mm is the .243 caliber. There is no doubt in my mind that speed kills way more than slower bullets. After you cross over about 3500 fps, I think a hit to the foot would kill a deer. I actually used to shoot squirrels and beavers with my 25-06 75g bullets @ 3750 fps. I would shoot their front foot and they would be instantly dead like a wet rag. I was amazed at a 65 pound beaver that I shot in the foot; the leg had multiple compound fractures, the skull was split and its neck was broken. It never even quivered after impact. I shot a whitetail in the front of the throat with an 87g Sierra @3600 fps. It dropped like a wet rag and stuck to a trail rather than fall down the canyon like I expected. It also never quivered. In field dressing it, I noticed a 10" rip in its aorta, the lungs were like foam and the liver looked like hamburger. If you are going to be within 200 yards those little ultra-fast bullets are amazing.

I just use bigger slower bullets to give me more range. I can take deer out to 500 yards easily with the 100g 25-06 bullet going 3350 fps. Occasionally I get a deer that doesn't drop on the spot but I've never had one go farther than 80 yards with those. Most of these are high/back shoulder shots.

I don't mind spending time helping you out. Most of us recall what it is like to get started. I'm also sure most of us have enjoyed the story of your move to Wyoming and getting the opportunity to hunt that great country. I'm a little different than most though. I'm an advocate of speed and small bullets. They reduce recoil and they really help when shooting running game. There is nothing in the .277 caliber that is too small for deer and antelope. They also let you get plenty of target and varmint practice so when you get a shot, you will be able to place it with precision. When I got my first 25-06 I shot a few thousand rounds annually at rocks, p-dogs, black birds, gophers, rabbits, squirrels, etc. and it really helped with hunting.

Comment

Dakota- Thank you again for all your input. To further my question about the 6.8 mm, will 6.8 bullet fit in a .277 die, a .270 wsm case, or a .270 wsm action? And how do you assume it would shoot if your answers to the above are 'yesses'? I agree in part with the speed kills. I do not have enough experience with fast bullets to act knowlegable about it, but am hoping to test some rounds on the light and fast end on the diameter, and also heavier grained end also. I would prefer to buy barrels more often and end up with an accurate killing machine than settle for factory. As my questions become either more specific or embarrassing, I may email you directly if that would be ok? Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Sorry for all the typo's. It appears that hooked on fonics didn't work for me!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
          by PigHunter
          Now that's a special song with a great back story! Before meeting PigHuntress, I dated a pastor's daughter and it was a very interesting time!...
          Today, 09:25 PM
        • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
          by fitch270
          So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
          09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
        • Reply to Real Quiet
          by FirstBubba
          Hoisted upon his own petard!

He is a true libtard bhr.
          He answers no questions or challenges. He only answers with dodges and derision....
          Today, 08:39 PM
        • Real Quiet
          by jhjimbo
          Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
          09-17-2021, 12:23 AM
        • Reply to Kentucky bow hunter...
          by FirstBubba
          EDITOR’S NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer....
          Today, 08:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X