Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a kick out of reading DEP's review of the new Rem 783 in this month's F&S. Has anyone shot this beast? What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proverbs
    replied
    Cabela's has a Winchester Classic Featherweight 70 fancy grade on sale this weekend for $1,350. It comes only in .257 Roberts. I found the rifle lovely to look at, and better to hold. If I were seeking a .257, it would have been sold.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I cannot fault either of you two gentlemen. There has always been a balance of form and function. Or as Lennon our Communist friend once said "production in itself is Superior quality".

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I almost bought an old Remington 721 in .300 Holland & Holland a few months ago. It needed a little more work than the high price justified.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly or cheap rifle or to drink cheap whisky. I don't poke fun at a guy's cheap rifle or ugly wife, either. Both might get you a asswhooping.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Carl, I don't fault you guys for that. Having a beautiful firearm is nice. Its nice to carry a rifle you can be proud of. For me, it is knowing that I'm carrying one of the most accurate rifles in the state so if I need to hit something I can. I may place too high a value on that but I like to be prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Dakota thanks for the response, but I have to go with WAM with this. My favorite rifle is a Browning high wall in 30-06. Just like a hunt going home empty handed or just a dance with a beautiful women. Sometimes holding something with good looks is enough.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    FirstBubba, I like the H&Hs too. I bought a .375 to commemorate its 100th birthday but haven't been able to swing the "Super 30" yet. This is the smoothest chambering cartridge I have ever loaded from a magazine.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    How about a .38-55, WAM?
    Oughta fit pretty close to the Whelen.
    I would still love to see a Ruger Black Hawk style revolver chambered in .25-20 Win.
    I like a lot of the "old" calibers.
    Would still like a No. 1 Ruger in .300 H&H Magnum, but I'd want the barrel stamped with the cartridges original designation. "Holland's Super .30"

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    jhjimbo... that would be nice I guess... still not good enough for long range varmint hunting with the .22-250 or the .243 and barely accurate enough for 400 yard deer hunting with the .308. Now if it were shooting .1 or even .2 MOA I'd start to get a little excited.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Remington advertises a 5 shot group from the 783 in a .75" group. That is a big claim, 5 shots?, I would like to see that.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Well said WAM... Or .22 Dasher, .22 CHeetah, .22-6mm (Remington, please note that barrel burners sell more barrels and the 783 lets us screw new ones on as fast as we can cook them), 6mm PPC, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, .280 Improved... etc. etc. etc. So many great cartridges. I wish the manufacturers recognized our hunger for these instead of a rifle that fills the space between the Rem 700 and the Rem 770.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Bubba,
    Sure isn't the .308, .30-06, .270 Win, 7mm rem Mag. in the 783 or the 7mm-08, .22-250, or .243 in the Ruger. Boring cartridges or ones that most of us already own. Blah!

Perhaps a .257 Roberts, 7x57 Mauser, or .35 Whelen.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    WAM

ROTFL...CGU!

What do you consider an "interesting" caliber?

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    DakotaMan and FirstBubba,
    I was not drawing a comparison between the 783 and a Weatherby of any flavor. As for the "middle ground", I own way more rifles and shotguns that cost me less than $500 than i do those that cost more than that. I'd probably buy a 783 or Ruger American if they came in an interesting caliber that I did not already own.

If you had a shot at a '65 Ford Falcoon, I hope you did not miss....

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    WAM
    Ever had a bolt whine because it was tightened by a Harbor Freight socket instead of Sears Craftsman? ...Snap-On? ...vise grips?

Basically, I agree with you, but the $ difference between Wby and Rem is a tad more than between a Snap-On socket and a Harbor Freight socket!

As a poor boy, I have to find the "middle ground"!
    If a 1/2 ton Dodge p/u will get me to town and back, why buy a Cadillac?
    The Caddy cost twice as much, looks nice in front of the store, but it doesn't get me to town and back any quicker and with cheaper monthly payments, I can buy more fuel to travel!
    Don't have a problem with the Caddy, I just prefer to spend less money.
    BTW! I had a shot at a '65 Ford Falcon, but let's face, there IS a difference between cheap-skate and just tight!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    WAM, it seems that each of us has a different perspective. Harbor Freight and Tool Town seem to be doing quite well. Perhaps because those who tighten one nut a year find that they could hire a certified mechanic to come over and tighten their nut for less money than required to buy a set of Snap-Ons. The cheap 9/16" socket looks like a real bargain by comparison. They probably won't use it enough to skin their knuckles using it like you and I might have.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad