Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know i've been asking probably to many questions about Weatherbies lately but this one will be the last for about 3 1/2 days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know i've been asking probably to many questions about Weatherbies lately but this one will be the last for about 3 1/2 days.

I know i've been asking probably to many questions about Weatherbies lately but this one will be the last for about 3 1/2 days. Will I get anything from the higher priced Weatherby Mark V Fibermark Composite that I wouldn't get from the Vanguard Series 2 Back Country? And if not, what would I be getting from the Back Country that I wouldn't be getting from the Series 2 Range Certiied?

What you will get is a better quality rifle with better resale. My .300 Weatherby Magnum Fibermark shoots about .5 to .7 MOA with my handloads, so I doubt that the Vanguard RC will shoot any better. Maybe the extra $300 to spend on a scope is your bonus with the RC. All the Vanguard S2's are supposed to shoot .99" at 100 yards. Personally, I'd buy the plain Vanguard s-2 or a Howa or Ruger American if I could not step up to a Mark V.

Comment

The Back Country has the great cera cote finish and is super light. For the money it is basically a custom gun bought over the counter.

Comment

When you say 'get anything' from the Mark V, if you are talking accuracy, they probably are both about the same.
        If you have the money and can save up for it, get the Weatherby Mark V, you will have it for the rest of your life and never regret it. Period.

Comment

You get a fluted barrel, a 60 degree bolt throw, a better finish, better resale and probably less accuracy and reliability with the Mark V.

Nearly all the rifles produced by Howa manufacturing (e.g. the Vanguard and the Howa 1500) have exceptional accuracy. Weatherby is culling theirs and giving the best shooters the "Range Certified" moniker. The "Back Country" version has a fluted barrel which reduces weight by about 1/2 pounds and to many gives it a nicer look.

I got a used Howa 1500 stainless for $375. The cheap tupperware stock was warped and it shot terrible. I glass bedded the stock and free floated the barrel. It then shot .4 MOA with $18/box Rem 180g bullets and .1 MOA with hand loaded target bullets.

For the fun of it, I added a $200 stock and $100 Timney trigger (pics on profile). It now looks better than any of the rifles you are considering and you will look a long time to find one that shoots better. I consider the Howa receiver to be the best "push feed" manufactured today including the Rem 700, the Savage and the Mark V. That is why I got one and I have not been disappointed. The Howa went elk hunting this year while my Mark V stayed in the safe (and my Mark V is PRETTY).

Comment

What do you get with a Weatherby?

You're buying, what? ..."name"? ..."accuracy"? ..."quality"?

Back in the 70's, most of the folks I saw buy Wby's was with a "look at me" attitude.
            With a Wby, you should get exceptional accuracy.
            You can achieve the same accuracy with a lower priced rifle.
            With a Wby, you should get exceptional quality.
            You can achieve the same "life time" of use from a lower priced rifle.

Killing" power?
            You can only kill a critter just so dead?
            (I swear, I've NEVER had a game animal complain about being bagged with abargain basement arm!)

If you want a Wby, by all means get the Wby!

I still maintain:
            "You can get to the prom in gramma's Rambler, but it sure LOOKS better when you roll up in a limo!"

Comment

What do you get with a Weatherby?

You're buying, what? ..."name"? ..."accuracy"? ..."quality"?

Back in the 70's, most of the folks I saw buy Wby's was with a "look at me" attitude.
              With a Wby, you should get exceptional accuracy.
              You can achieve the same accuracy with a lower priced rifle.
              With a Wby, you should get exceptional quality.
              You can achieve the same "life time" of use from a lower priced rifle.

Killing" power?
              You can only kill a critter just so dead?
              (I swear, I've NEVER had a game animal complain about being bagged with abargain basement arm!)

If you want a Wby, by all means get the Wby!

I still maintain:
              "You can get to the prom in gramma's Rambler, but it sure LOOKS better when you roll up in a limo!"

Comment

per DakotaMan's suggestion, I just finished DEP's article in the current issue if F&S on Remington's M783.
                That is exactly what I 'm alluding to in my above post!

Comment

In general, we American sportsman seem to place a high value on image as FirstBubba so eloquently alluded. That is why you will find Ping irons in the trunk of golfers that shoot 120 on a good day.

Weatherby rifles are considered top of the line based on their looks and their highly successful marketing programs. We who own them admire them and like to believe they are more accurate and "better" just like Ping owners. They are of course beautiful products and like Pings, they just look good.

Will they get you more game though? I would say don't count on it. From a practical hunting point of view, you will find that some African PHs discourage their use in dangerous game hunting because of reliability.

I am a sample of one but I have experienced one mechanical failure in over 40,000 rounds from my clunky old M98 Mauser-based rifle. On the other hand, my buddy and I have had 7 failures out of about 300 rounds using Weatherbys. His resulted in losing three days of stalking a trophy Alaskan Dahl sheep. I only lost antelope with mine. It can be extremely disappointing to stalk for days and fail but after you think about it a while, it really is not as bad as death.

In terms of accuracy, Weatherbys are just fine for medium to large game. None of my hunting or target rifles including my AR15 have ever been beaten at the range by any Weatherby. I have never seen one at the competitive 100 yard line nor at a prairie dog town. That's OK... they aren't made nor intended to be that accurate.

Feel free to get a beautiful Mark V if you want fine workmanship to admire but don't think that you need it for accuracy, reliability or hunting success. This is a preference on which only you can decide. Good luck on your decision. You can't make a mistake with any of these. You will enjoy any of them immensely.

Comment

Like I have said before, there are those who own Weatherby Mark V rifles and those who wish they did.

DakotaMan, You did well to leave that .25-06 Mark V at home on an elk hunt. No reason to beat up a pretty rifle in a cartridge inadequate for the job at hand anyway ;-)

Weatherby Mark V failures? LOL! Never seen one.....

Comment

WAM, I could have taken a cork gun on my elk hunt. I never had to fire it and could have well used a 5 ounce rifle most days. LOL Regarding failures, glad to hear of your experience and I hope you never see one with any rifle. They can be most discouraging.

Comment

Never had a failure with one of my AR's, Remington's, Savage 99's, nor a Ruger 77 save some crappy PMC ammo with primers set too deep. Guess I either know how to maintain my weapons or I have lived a charmed life. :-)

Comment

I have not had many firearm failures but have had some ammo failure. Split case in a Mauser 98, broken shell in a Enfield No1Mk5, and when I was first learning reloading I set some primers too deep, and also did not crimp tight enough on a .44mag.
                          Oh, I have had a controlled feed Mauser fail to capture the shell rim and fail to close(also had that happen on the Enfield) and also have had two shells jam, with one in chamber and one on load ramp in a Winchester '94. One scope failure in the '60's when I climbed to top of a small mountain(into the low clouds) the scope fogged. Took it back and bought a Redfield and am still using that one today.
                          Had a Remington 11-48 that failed to fire when it was cold - good cleaning to remove almost all oil solved that problem.
                          That's about it for over 50 years of hunting.

Comment

Gasp! Don't let DakotaMan read about a Mauser action having a malfunction! He might go into cardiac arrest..... :-)

Comment

I heard that!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad