Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else on here bought a "knock around" or bargain gun to fill in for a nice gun only to find you like the cheaper one b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else on here bought a "knock around" or bargain gun to fill in for a nice gun only to find you like the cheaper one b

Has anyone else on here bought a "knock around" or bargain gun to fill in for a nice gun only to find you like the cheaper one better? I have found myself carrying a cheap single shot 20 gauge New England Arms shotgun more than my nicer guns and love the handiness of it. Same for rifles I have found that the lesser expensive ones seem to be the ones I keep going back to like my Ruger American Rifle which gets carried more than my M77.

How bout a Mauser M98K stamped "Steyr NATO" .308?

$150 at a gun show.

Comment

I got a used Howa 1500 30-06 for the great action to build a custom target rifle. The original barrel shot so well I couldn't bring myself to take it off. I put a new stock on it, pillar/glass bedded it and put in a really good trigger. The thing shot so accurately I couldn't put it down. It shot as well as .1 MOA with target bullets and .3-.4MOA with Barnes 168s. It became my primary elk hunting rifle and most of my much more expensive rifles stayed in the safe this year.

Comment

bayouwoof, I've got to start going to gun shows again!

Comment

Yes, I recently purchased a Santa Barbara Mauser chambered in .30-'06 for $200 with the bore in excellent condition. I bought it to spare a much more expensive rifle some of the abuses of the field, and it performed well beyond my expectations in terms of accuracy. Since its purchase, I've topped it with a Weaver 3X scope and I enjoy how it handles in the standing offhand position.

Comment

DakotaMan -

Yeah, it's been getting pretty thin lately, butt Ah have gotten three memorable deals at gunshows.

The others were a perfectly restored Remington rolling block 7mm and an Elsie coated with a light patina of rust butt perfect underneath.

Comment

Used RUGER Super Red-hawk in .44 Rem Mag, The Guy who sold it wanted to upscale to the latest hot round. I downscaled the 44 to 180 grain bullets and put new Hogue grips on and a Nikon pistol scope. I think of it as a backup deer rifle, it has become that accurate.

Lots of guys chase the latest, greatest, prettiest and sexiest thing and don’t realize what they just threw away.

Huh? I talking about guns or life? Hmm. (insert smiley face here).

Comment

I have a CVA 45/70 with a Leupold muzzleloader scope on it that will out shoot rifle three times the cost.
                Well under 600.00 for the scope and rifle but it just puts bullets right where you point it time after time.

Comment

I carry a EAA semi auto 12ga that I got 15 years ago for $100 dollars. That ugly misfit has taken more game and shot better groups all out of a 18 inch barrel. I love that gun and will pass it down to my son even though it is not worth a dime it is just a good shooting gun that has been beat around and is still kicking.

Comment

Used Rem. 870 12 ga. Pump. Its a workhorse.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by 99explorer
                      CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                      Anybody
                      Today, 01:09 AM
                    • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                      Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by 99explorer
                      Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                      Today, 12:57 AM
                    • The George Floyd case.
                      by FirstBubba
                      Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                      Minnesota...
                      Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by crm3006
                      My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                      Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X