Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright, question for everybody on here: if someone came to you and said you can have one rifle to your name what caliber would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, question for everybody on here: if someone came to you and said you can have one rifle to your name what caliber would

Alright, question for everybody on here: if someone came to you and said you can have one rifle to your name what caliber would it be? Make and models notwithstanding. This is from all these caliber questions lately.

Hands down .30-06 for me. You can bring down anything that walks and though way over gunned for smaller critters it could be used in a pinch. The reason I am so partial to the 06 is the versatility and not much recoil for a lot of performance.

Comment

25-06, because it can kill anything up to an elk. it can also be used for coyotes, deer, fox, and other medium size game. Illinois doesn't allow center fire rifles during deer season, but the 25-06 would be nice to have if I ever went out of state to hunt.

Comment

It would have to be my 300WSM.

Comment

.30-06.

Comment

I once had to make that decision, and I chose the .30-06.

Comment

It would be my Savage Mod 170-C Pump 30/30 with 5 bullet weights 55Gr Accelerator,125Gr/Hp,150GrJSP,160GrFLEXTIP,170GrJSP will stop most Game Animals.

Comment

I also had to make that decision and shot one rifle for about 25 years. I just didn't trust any other cartridge to perform so well. I've always enjoyed target shooting, prairie dog shooting, fox/coyote hunting, antelope, white tails and prairie Mulies. It was a 25-06 for me. 95% of shots were 75g bullets with quite a few 90g bullets. A few 100g bullets per year went into deer and antelope. I shoot a few 115g Bergers for 700 yard p-dogs deer/antelope beyond 500 yards. I shot one deer with a 120g bullet in 1999 to check out its performance. It was a little slow for my taste but the deer dropped in its tracks.

I got a .300 Dakota and 30-06 for short and long range elk hunting and like them just fine. Nice additions on the high end. The 30-06 is not nearly as nice as the 25-06 on varmints, antelope and deer but the .300 Dakota does make 1000 yard prairie dog hunting fun.

Comment

Is this a one rifle for life deal? If it is .30-06. If not a 8mm Mauser.

Comment

That is a tough one, one caliber for everything??
                    I would say 6.5X55. 85gr. to 160gr. bullets.

Comment

Sounds like the .30-06 isn't overrated after all! The majority seems to be choosing it over most others.
                      M.A.T. the situation is one rifle for life, not just the moment, it makes it a little more of an important decision I think.

Comment

.35 Whelen

Comment

I have always been partial to my 308. to me it is the best all round caliber. if not the 308, then I will have to go to the backup.....the 22lr. if in a survival situation you can not go wrong with the 22lr.

Comment

For the area in which I live (Oregon) and the game & terrain normally available to me, I'd have a difficult choice between the .250 Savage, the 6.5x55mm and the .30-'06, but I believe I'd narrow it to the .250 Savage, which seems to be the one I reach for most frequently now.
                            I hope never to be limited to one (1) rifle, as I'm sure golfers wouldn't want to be limited to one club or fishermen to one rod & reel.

Comment

toss up between 30-06 and 308.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad