Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK I have narrowed down my new rifle choice down to either 25-06 or a 7mm08. I live in the south and allmost never shoot more th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK I have narrowed down my new rifle choice down to either 25-06 or a 7mm08. I live in the south and allmost never shoot more th

OK I have narrowed down my new rifle choice down to either 25-06 or a 7mm08. I live in the south and allmost never shoot more than 100yds but whould like the gun to be easly capable of at least 300yrds+ I primarily hunt whitetail's and I started hunting coyotes this year and I want to try hogs and black bear next year which caliber whould be best

You tickle my Heart, I luv the 7mm-08 and live in Fl,The 7mm-08 will do every thing you have in mind.
    I have taken Two Moose + a Ton of Deer, Hogs and lot's of Coyotes out to 400Yd, Its a good Choose, the 25/06 is also a fine round, but ammo is hard to fined not every sport shop carries it.(Hand loading is best)it to will do every thing also with more Recoil and Muzzle Blast. the 7mm-08 is a .270 in short pants check it out.

Comment

.25-06 any day.

Comment

7mm-08. It is flat enough for any 300 yard shot and would work for deer, black bear, hogs or coyotes.

Comment

It's kind of personal preference. They're tied on ft-lbs of energy, the .25-06 is about 200 fps faster, and the 7mm-08 can fire heavier bullets.
          So if I was just hunting whitetail and coyotes, I'd take the .25-06. If hogs and bears were the choices I'd pick the 7mm-08 because of heavier bullets. But since all of those are what you want to hunt I'd go with 7mm-08.

Comment

With hogs and black bear in the picture, I would prefer the 7mm/08.

Comment

7MM-08 no questions asked.

Comment

Both will serve you well. I prefer the 25-06 because I can shoot little 75g and 90g bullets all day at targets and varmints. You get more speed too and speed is your friend. You don't think you will shoot out to 500 yards until you own a rifle that does it well. It is best to reload for these though... you will enjoy them more by being able to shoot the lighter bullets that you will never find on the shelf.

I've never had trouble finding bullets because I always take a few hundred with me. If I'm going to shoot more than a few hundred a day, I'll also take a reloader with me to make more as I shoot throughout the day. You can also order them online and they will be at your doorstep within 48 hours anywhere in America.

In the 7mm-08, I like the 120g bullets for just about everything but they definitely have more recoil and less shocking power than the 25-06.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad