Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so I purchased a box of hornady 139gr SST in 7mm-08 a while ago and the procrastinator I am opening weekend of gun deer is th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so I purchased a box of hornady 139gr SST in 7mm-08 a while ago and the procrastinator I am opening weekend of gun deer is th

Ok so I purchased a box of hornady 139gr SST in 7mm-08 a while ago and the procrastinator I am opening weekend of gun deer is this weekend and decided to sight them in vs. the remington cor-lokt I had been using. I loaded one round, click nothing loaded another, click nothing grabbed one from the middle of the box and that one fired ended a few inches high at 100yds loaded another one from the middle, click nothing I fired 4 rounds from one box and only one discharged anybody got any ideas on what may wrong or what I should do? Should I contact Hornady and try and get money back or should I get another box of remingtons or what do you think? These caliber bullets aren't cheap and like I said I need them this weekend, any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

What kind of gun? Did the Remington fire?
    You might examine the primers to compare to the one that fired - is the firing pin hit deep enough? Did you try them a second time?
    One thing might be a dirty firing pin. Clean with lighter fluid, carb and choke cleaner, etc to make sure there is no crud around it.
    Try Remington and then see if you can get your money back on the Hornady.

Comment

the gun is a marlin xs7 in 7mm-08 and yes I had some extra remingtons with that did fire. The hornadys that didn't fire do seem to have a shallower marking. I did try firing one of them a second time and nothing happened. I will look into the dirty firing pin. Thanks! Would you think that Gander Mtn (Where I purchased them)would deal with this issue or would I have to go through hornady?

Comment

Some brands of primers are harder than others.
        I like the Remington Core-Lokt ammo, and would stay with it if the accuracy is satisfactory.

Comment

Same problem with Hornady ammo a few years ago. Will not buy again. Some names to avoid: Hornady, Bushnell, Tasco, Herter's, Simmons, Mossberg, CCI, anything made in China or Russia.

Comment

If you can get to Gander Mtn and have your receipt they might do something, otherwise Hornady. Go to Hornady web site and see if they have a place to report an ammo problem - or just contact customer service with info and lot number.

Comment

Had the same problem with some Federals many moons back. I don't buy Federal.
              I'm like WAM! Sometimes, a "brand" name is all the info you need!

Comment

I hope you have better luck than I did getting Hornady to do something about it. I felt like the customer that got "serviced" by their phone drones. Forgot to add PMC to that list of bozos.

Comment

I would certainly use the ammo that fires for hunting this season. Some primers are intentionally more difficult to detonate than others. This is a safety issue for some firearms that have a "floating" firing pins.

You could measure the protrusion of your firing pin. In all likelihood it does not protrude enough from the bolt face to detonate all types of primers. It should protrude at least .040 or more. I consider this to be a rifle problem, not an ammo problem.

I suggest checking with Marlin or a Marlin certified gunsmith and having the firing pin protrusion checked as soon as possible. It mmay be an adjustment you can do yourself. You may have an occlusion in the firing pin hole, a defective firing pin assembly, or need an adjustment.

I'm not familiar with the design of the XS7 so I can't help you there. I have had similar difficulties with a Weatherby Mark V and it was a firing pin assembly problem. Once fixed, all ammo shot fine. If your rifle won't detonate Hornady ammo, you have a "rifle problem".

FYI, I've shot tens of thousands of CCI primers and they are my gold standard for accuracy loads. I have never had a problem with any of them other than with the Weatherby. That one incident was not the fault of the primer and they have shot well in that rifle since the fix was applied.

By the way, that incident involved use of the CCI #34 primer that is designed for military rifles with floating firing pins. It is by design one of the most difficult to detonate to prevent slam fires in those rifles. I knew that going in and bought them anyway because they were the ONLY large rifle primers I could find at the time. After the rifle was fixed, they shot just fine.

Get your rifle fixed. Don't just crutch it with a handy box of ammo that seems to work. It is very discouraging to have the shot of a lifetime and hear that "click". A hunting rifle should be ready to go every time without doubt.

Comment

Ditto~ DakotaMan Good Job & well done +1

Comment

I agree DakotaMan, find a expert gunsmith and have him check it out. Notice I said expert and not a shade tree gunsmith.

Comment

DakotaMan GOOD JOB DAR SHOOTER!

The only problem I had with primers was the old CCI 200 and Winchester 780 which needed a hotter primer. Every round went, but it was a hit or or hang fire, "CLICK" "BOOM", kinda like shooting a flint lock.

As for your question, most firing pins screw in from the back of the bolt, I had this happen to me at age 12 with my Fathers Carl Gustafs stads Gevärsfaktori 6.5x55. Nice 8 Point Muley at 20 yard shot and I emptied the magazine without a single shot fired! Dad thought I had buck fever until he noticed the bolt....

Take a picture of your primers either post them here or better yet message them to me on Facebook claycooper35. I've fired a many Hornady loaded ammo, never had a problem but that was in my 03-A3 30-06

Comment

I think you have a rifle/firing pin problem. I have fired thousands of Hornady rounds and thousands of loads with CCI primers, of various calibers from .223 up to .375 H&H, with nary a misfire.

Comment

I picked up some more remingtons today to use for the weekend. The only box I could find were some core-lokt managed recoil and they were actually cheaper than expected so that's a plus. They claim they have the same point of impact, but I will test that theory tomorrow at the range. As for the primers, the ones that didn't fire are definitely not as deep as the one that did fire.

Comment

Ok I posted a picture of the primers next to each other just look on my profile to see them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X