Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's stir the F&S pot. What is your favorite Bullet, not the complete cartridge. But just the bullet IE. 30 caliber, 7 mil, 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's stir the F&S pot. What is your favorite Bullet, not the complete cartridge. But just the bullet IE. 30 caliber, 7 mil, 6.5

Let's stir the F&S; pot. What is your favorite Bullet, not the complete cartridge. But just the bullet IE. 30 caliber, 7 mil, 6.5 or what ever. What flies right and just gets the job done be it punch paper or drop them in their tracks. I know these are two different things. But I would like to hear from WAM or Dakota or anyone who shoot into different ZIP Codes.

burger 30 cal 168 gr Match Hybrid Target
    out of a savage model 12 Krieger barrel McMillan A-5 stock Leupold MK-4

Comment

I have gotten more game, deer and bear with .30 cal Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester Silvertip.
      Nosler Partition and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw are my top pick for reloads.

Comment

I have too many favorite bullets/calibers to list just one, but the Barnes TTSX in a middle weight for caliber like a 168 gr for .30 caliber and a 150 gr for 7mm top the list for me.

Comment

Nosler Ballistic Tip has dropped everything I've ever shot with it. Same can be said of the Accubond, which is a tougher bullet for bigger game, but shoots to the same point of impact from my '06 and .338 Win Mag.

Comment

165 grain Hornady Interlock or 165 grain Nosler Accubond out of my 300WSM and .308. 139 grain Hornady SST, 139 grain Hornady Interlock, or 140 grain Combined Technology out of my .280

Comment

Sierra 130 gr BTSP in .277 fills all my current big game needs.

Comment

139Gr/SST/7mm or.284Dim. by Hornady

Comment

.30 caliber Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip. And I'm not a reloading guy, but that could change in the future, and if it does I'll probably be getting some .30 caliber Nosler Accubonds.

Comment

When I used the .308 in competition, the Sierra 168 grain HPBT Match bullet was my choice. I'm aware there are other candidates for Match bullets these days, but we naturally fall back on what we trust and experiment from there.

Comment

In recent years I have reloaded more for 30 caliber rifles. Most accurate for me are the 165 gr bullets. 180 gr bullets in my 300 Win Mag also do a fine job.

Comment

I'm pleased to say that there are MANY great bullets out there. Here are some that consistently have worked well for me:

Target/varmint shooting: Hornady V-Max, haven't been able to beat the accuracy out to 500 yards. A 50g .223 bullet typically blows up inside a fox without damaging the hide. I also use the smallest for caliber Hornady and Sierra hollow points. Very accurate... not so good for foxes because they DO exit.

Deer/antelope hunting: Hornady Interbond, Sierra Game King. Usually my most accurate hunting bullets across the spectrum of calibers. The Hornady shocks and penetrates, the Sierra is typically the most accurate beyond 300 yards and expands very well with lower long range velocities. If I expect the shots to be longer range, I use this bullet at lot but it does ruin more meat at high velocity and inside of 200 yards (aim for high/back shoulder). For the .223 Rem, the Combined Technology 55g. Accurate and leaves a wound channel similar to a .308.

Elk: Barnes TTSX per the advice of WAM and Happy at ranges out to 600 yards. In 30 caliber the 168g. I tried the 175g LRX and they wandered after 300 yards. Might need a higher twist rate. I use Bergers for long range.

Long range (1000 yard+) target and hunting: Berger 210g and 215g .30 caliber target and hunting bullets respectively. Sierra Match Kings and Hornady A-Maxs have done well in most calibers too... worth checking in your rifle for target only. The Bergers are always my best but they really cost $$$ lately. The A-Maxs are the least expensive and have produced my best groups but they are less consistent for me with a flier every now and then.

Experimental: The GS Custom VLD bullet. Experimenting with this in .375. The design allows highest velocity in a given bullet weight. They really do make a big difference and are very accurate.

I've tried almost every bullet made and continue to tinker. There are many other bullets that do nearly as well and I encourage you to try them. Everybody's rifle is different and your sweet spot may be different than mine. I have found the bullets above to be consistently accurate across all my rifles and that is my number one criterion. My theories are "If the bullet goes through the right spot, they all work on game" and "If your rifle shoots as well at 500 yards as most people's do at 100 yards, you will enjoy it more".

Comment

Thank you one and all!!

Comment

The 168 grain 7.62 Hornady A-Max is amazing. The accuracy is phenomenal and the polymer tip creates such expansion that it drops game in their track with no suffering and no running. The only round more accurate is the Sierra HPBT, but there is no comparison in expansion and knockdown power. I use the V-Max in my .223 but it is essentially the same projectile with a differently placed core.

Comment

I use Barnes bullets for all of my hunting. Varmints excluded.
                              .243 - 85gr TSX
                              .308 - 180gr MRX or 150gr TTSX
                              .270 - 130gr TSX
                              .45/70 - 300gr TSX FN
                              They definitely punch through most animals so if you are a fan of the "wasted energy" theory you probably won't like them. They have filled many freezers for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad