Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats everyone's opinion of the 25-06 caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno Sarge!
    I've been taking 'em down with a .270 since the early 70's.
    I've never had to track one very far. Fifty or sixty yards max.
    The last four or five have been bang-flops.
    Know a guy who's been shooting a Wby Vanguard in .25-06 since the late 70's.DoDon't recall that he's lost one yet.

Comment

Bubba I have been doing it with my .280 with 140 grain bullets too but that is a far cry from the 25-06 as far as I am concerned. Shot through both shoulders they fold after only a few steps. I have used a .270 many years ago with success also. I killed my 30 inch mule deer in Colorado at 400 yards with a .270 about 30 years ago. High shoulder shot, ran like he## for half a step. I sold it to a friend who likes .270's, I prefer a .280.

Comment

Y'all been watching too much Outdoor Channel expecting every deer shot to be a bang-flop.... LOL!

Comment

So, Dakota' do you really like the 25-06?

Comment

WAM,
            If you watched the Outdoor Channel you would be used to finding them the next day. "We think the shot was good but we will just leave them lay overnight and recover them the next day." I never heard that until I turned on the Outdoor Channel. They shoot their deer in the middle of the afternoon but always have to use a light to recover it after dark. Haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

25-06, that's the cartridge I replaced my 300 Win Mag with back in 82? 83? something like that, and never regretted it! 280 Rem, 270 & 30-06 make beautiful 25-06's! The best cartridge that's mild enough for my Grandson at age 8 to myself shooting extreme distances out to 700 yards and enough steam to take down an Elk so it's more than adequate for any Ballistic Hardened Deer!
              257 Roy? only 125 feet per second faster and cartridges costing far more than what you actually gain.

Comment

Groan....here we go again with the .25 caliber pop guns for elk..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

Clay,
                  How many elk have you killed at 700 yards with your 25-06? I love the caliber, but am curious.

Comment

Happy, seriously I wouldn't be pushing that speed pill that far for Elk, 350 yards max perhaps with a 120 grain Nosler I would say. With 100 grain Hornady's, I've busted several Mule Deer, a many Yodel Dogs and tons of Jack Rabbits at that range. Haven't shot an Elk yet, hopefully next year. But I can say I've tagged out on two Caribou and one Moose. As for Elk what I do know, there like Jack Rabbits, they can take a direct hit by even 300 Mags and still keep on trucking, that's a lot of punishment and I Wouldn't recommend anything lighter than a 308/30-06 for the average Joe for Elk. If I do go next year, my 338 is going, getting to old and don't know what recovery is going to be like from my busted ankle, should be back to normal I hope.

My view of the 25-06 simply is this, as listed, it's the smallest cartridge (at one time I do know) for Elk. Saying that, that means it's more than adequate for Caribou and Mule Deer which I recommend. But of course, the moose I shot was at 25-30 yards, I could've dropped it with my 22-250. Back of the head shot just to the right inside 1 1/2 inches of the left ear with the head turned to the right about 20 degrees

Comment

By the way, December 13 according by my Doc is my deliverance day and 14th is Muzzle loader. I have until 28 Feb to fill all tags. Either I'm getting old or appreciating archery that much more

Comment

Happy, yes I do really like it. :-)
                        It really depends on your application though. You do a lot of hunting that is well beyond the range of that cartridge. I think what grew on me over the years is that I could use this one cartridge as one of the best for just about everything I hunt and do well on the target range too. The more I shot it the better I got and that made it even more effective. It is difficult to be as comfortable with a rifle if you have to switch from one to another based on what you are doing. I found its versatility to be a real asset.

Regarding elk, I like bigger cartridges to give me 600 yard capability if I am engaging that type of hunting. I do however respect Don Laubach after reading his books as WAM recommended. Laubach notes that he and his dad used a .250/3000 for most of the hundreds of elk they have taken. He claims that hitting the right spot is all that is required. Based on most of my hunting this year, a 100 yard shot would have been a long one and I could well have used a 25-06. I would expect a clean pass through at 250 yards with a premium bullet. I'd also feel very confident in hitting them in the right spot. Considering the lack of oxygen in the Rockies, I also could have breathed easier carrying a 5 1/2 pound rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Cooper View Post
                          By the way, December 13 according by my Doc is my deliverance day and 14th is Muzzle loader. I have until 28 Feb to fill all tags. Either I'm getting old or appreciating archery that much more
                          Purchased a Remington 700 BDL 25-06 when I was 18. I'm an now 57 and it still is the only rifle I use for deer hunting and varmits. I've always reloaded and have found the Sierra 100gr spitzer to be a great bullet for mule deer and black tail. I've never had to hit them more then once and with the exception of one stubborn buck they have dropped immediately. I've not used it on Elk but did get a black bear with it, again just one shot. The 100gr spitzer goes out at 3400 fps and is extremely accurate out to 400 yards. 'For varmits the 75gr hornady has worked well for me.
                          I agree with the earlier poster that the 25-06 was made for reloading.

The 25-06 has all the knock down power one needs for hunting most NA game without having the downside of messing up the meat that some larger calibers tend to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                            WAM,
                            If you watched the Outdoor Channel you would be used to finding them the next day. "We think the shot was good but we will just leave them lay overnight and recover them the next day." I never heard that until I turned on the Outdoor Channel. They shoot their deer in the middle of the afternoon but always have to use a light to recover it after dark. Haven't figured that out yet.
                            they gotta make it "dramatic" and make it last for the show.
                            hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by mike0714 View Post
                              it is my second favorite medium game caliber and in my opinion it is the best all around caliber. It can take game from elk to prairie dogs.
                              mike0714--what round do you recommend/suggest for coyotes to save the hide? I've read and been told 75-90grain HP.
                              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                                It gets my vote as one of the best. I say if a guy had a .22 LR a .25-06 and a .300 win mag there isn't much reason he should have any want in him. After that, a smoke pole, a pistol and a duck gun and he'd only be lavish if he bought any extras.
                                .177 pellet rifle
                                .22LR
                                50 cal cva smokepole
                                12 GA Mossberg
                                70# Martin krypton
                                30/06 rem

Wanna get a 25/06 or 243 for coyotes to elk
                                (Even though the 30/06 will suffice for elk/etc)
                                Lol

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad