Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats everyone's opinion of the 25-06 caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats everyone's opinion of the 25-06 caliber?

Whats everyone's opinion of the 25-06 caliber?

I consider the .25-'06 a versatile cartridge, especially in the hands of a shooter who reloads, which covers the field from varmints to deer very effectively. Many consider it adequate for elk. Not having downed an elk with a .25-'06, I cannot argue that point, but I'd certainly recommend it for most of what North America has to offer, short of brown bear. It's a bit powerful for varmints, but certainly versatile with the spectrum of projectiles (75 to 120 grain) available in .257 diameter.

Comment

You have a 7.62x54 = 30-30,308,30-06 are you looking to up/grade or down/grade? The 25/06 is a fine Long Action Round. use is Varmint to to Elk, Same for the Short Action Round 7mm-08=.270 with out the recoil and Muzzle Blast and Ammo is found all over the Country.It also carry's a pay-load from 100Gr to 168Gr. 7mm=.284 diameter.
      It's your Pick.......just saying

Comment

I also think the 25-06 is a great all round cartridge for most North American game. I'm sure it would do the job on elk but wouldn't be my first choice.

Comment

My opinion?
          Superb round! Probably the "ultimate" white tail round.

Comment

It gets my vote as one of the best. I say if a guy had a .22 LR a .25-06 and a .300 win mag there isn't much reason he should have any want in him. After that, a smoke pole, a pistol and a duck gun and he'd only be lavish if he bought any extras.

Comment

I grew up on the prairie in South Dakota and hunted everything from p-dogs to deer... both whitetails and muleys. I started out shooting a wide variety of rifles including .220 Swift, .243, .264 Win, .270, 7mm Mag, .308, 30-06, 30-30, .300 Win, and .35 Rem. My favorite at that time was the .243. I loved the .264 but couldn't afford the barrels. Recoil of the 7mm Mag turned me off but I liked the speed and almost stuck with that one.

Seems the .243's speed really cut the lead on coyotes and deer and helped me get more. Plus the light recoil made me deadly accurate and I began to fall in love with low recoil rifles, especially when compared to the 7mm Mag. The problem was I saw so much game at 300 yards and beyond that I just couldn't touch and I sought something better.

In 1967, I put together a 25-06 Improved (Imp) and little by little, all my other rifle choices started to stay in the closet. It seemed to me that my new 25-06 just beat them out at whatever I was intending to do.

At first I thought nothing could beat the .220 Swift or the .22-250 on the p-dog town but those 75g 25-06 bullets at 3750 fps smoked them once I started shooting beyond 400 yards. Now I like to shoot p-dogs out to 1000 yards (with larger bullets) and am happy to take on any .22 for that. The 25-06 can stabilize 115g Bergers and a .22 can't touch those bullets beyond about 500 yards in most p-dog conditions.

I started shooting 90g 25-06 bullets at 3600 fps for coyotes. I started hitting a lot more coyotes than with the .243. or even a .270. Speed was king and I was amazed how it rolled coyotes at 500 yards. I felt more comfortable shooting coyotes out to 600 yards and before long, there is no way I could go back to the .243 or even the .270 (it just seemed slower and I really started to notice its fast/sharp recoil). Others in my family have tried the same thing with all their rifles and they all have gravitated to the 25-06 over time.

I like to be able to deck a running antelope if I need to and I wanted the capability to take posing antelope out to 500 yards or so. I like the speed of the 22-250 for the running shots but they just drop off beyond about 250 yards and can't make the longer shots. They usually fail to penetrate well beyond that range too. A 1:10 twist could help 22-250s here to stabilize larger bullets but you can't do that because you loose the famed speed in doing so.

The 90g and 100g 25-06 bullets going 3600 fps and 3350 fps respectively delivered every time on antelope. They hit hard and it is rare to find a bullet that doesn't pass through, even at 500 yards.

At first I questioned whether a 100g-120g bullet could possibly stop a 300 pound mule deer or one of the big South Dakota east river white tail bucks. I thought that there is no way this would stop and elk. I had typically used the .35 Rem 200g bullets for extra thick brush busting or 150g-180g bullets in the .308 and 30-06. They made me feel under-gunned with 140g .270 bullets.

I was shocked at the performance of the 25-06. The first thing I noticed is that I no longer had to cut deer's throats to bleed them out. They had no blood left in their circulatory system. I began to notice that few deer even wiggled after being hit and tracking deer became a lost art for me. I found the 100g Hornady Interlocs always passed completely through, even end-to-end. I've only shot one deer with a 120g bullet. I soon discovered that I didn't need a bullet that large. I became reluctant to reduce my velocity either unless I knew I was going to be in thick timber or that shots were going to be beyond 500 yards for certain. Yes, the speed IS habit forming... I need to tell you that up front.

I must tell you that my first chambering with the improved cartridge provided near-.257 Wby velocities (faster than the standard 25-06 Rem speeds referenced above) and that made a noticeable difference to me. I got over 8000 rounds through that barrel but when time came to replace it, I went to the standard 25-06 Rem to eliminate fire forming the cases. Although noticeably slower, it still was the best for these applications. I've since gone through a few more barrels, getting around 10,000 rounds from each. It is still my favorite choice for just about everything although I still try others once in a while.

Let me just mention what I have proven it WON'T do... When I have to shoot through trees (I'm talking bullet holes in multiple trees) to kill a deer, it won't beat the .375 H&H with 300g Barnes bullets. When it comes to 1000 yard elk, it won't beat a .300 Dakota or a .338 Lapua. I have no doubt about its ability to deck an elk at 250 yards just like a 30-06 although it isn't mmy first choice for elk.

However if you are hunting anything from p-dogs to deer inside of 600 yards and you want the best odds for success, you won't find a better all around cartridge. I've tried and I keep trying. However after 45 years of trying, I haven't displaced the 25-06 yet and I still use it more than any other cartridge, especially if I need an edge.

I now have about a dozen or more family members and friends who have happily converted to the 25-06 after seeing my results during our hunts. These are guys who hunt a LOT and they have the same comments, although several of them still shoot close range varmints/antelope with .223s and .22-250s once in a while (as do I) just for a change of pace.

If you want to be different, chamber the .25-06 Improved for near-.257 Wby performance at much lower cost. In a pinch, you can shoot standard 25-06 cartridges in that chamber. If you don't want the headache of fire forming cases for the Imp, get a standard 25-06 Rem. I realize this is verbose but hope it gives you a feel for why I shoot a 25-06 a LOT. By the way, probably 95% of my 40,000+ 25-06 shots have been with a 75g bullet when shooting targets or varmints.

Comment

What more can be said. I have shot two large mule deer with mine using 120gr. speer bullets. One was over 200 yards and the other about 100 yards and both deer droped in their tracks. Both were over 200 lbs. The 25-06 is one of the best deer rifles around.

Comment

I never thought too much about a .25-06, really. The .257 Roberts is my quarter bore of choice for hunting and shooting. Neither are much count if bears are around and are marginal for elk in my opinion. Seems like everyone who has one really loves it. That cartridge is just way down on my list of must haves.

Comment

If I were going to buy a quarter bore it would be the .257 Weatherby. It is the 25-06 and then some. DakotaMan and Clay Cooper are 25-06 advocates and will tell of its virtues. I considered buying a 25-06 but could not pull the trigger (pun intended). I have a .240 Weatherby and a .270 Win and could not justify the purchase.

Comment

it is my second favorite medium game caliber and in my opinion it is the best all around caliber. It can take game from elk to prairie dogs.

Comment

I am the odd ball in this crowd. I shot 3 deer last year with the 25-06 that I owned for 2 months before I traded it off. The first deer was shot at a distance of 100 yards standing broadside through the center of both shoulders with a 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet , showed no signs of being hit , found no blood or hair for 25 yards and found the deer 80 yards later dead. Second deer was shot high shoulder and dropped at the shot, will do that with most any caliber. Third deer was shot with 100 grain ballistic tips, standing broadside through both lungs, found blood where shot but doe ran up hill for 80 yards and down the other side for 50 yards before piling up. I'm not used to these results from my .308, .280 or my 300 WSM. I hope the new owner is pleased with the rifle because it was a Weatherby Series 2 and I really liked the rifle , just not the caliber.

Comment

A hunting friend lived in Alaska for 15 years and Wyoming for 12 and his rifle is a Remington 700 in 25-06. So far he has gotten 35 black bears and numerous deer and antelope.

Comment

Sarge

Them must be some tough 'ol deers you got up there in WVa!
                            Is that why you shoot them "Mangrum" guns?

Comment

FirstBubba,
                              I don't know, all I know is I couldn't knock them down with that 25-06. I really hated it too because I really liked that Weatherby Series 2. I like clip guns and I had the clip model. It shot well I just had 2 bad experiences with it and life is too short to have anymore. I guess the one that surprised me the most was the one where I shot the buck through the butt of both shoulders with the 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock and he never even flinched or gave any indication of being hit, he just ran off like he had been scared not hit and I didn't have any blood or hair for over 25 yards. With my .280, .308 or 300WSM the results are drasticly different. My buddy had one and shot several deer with his and he had less than optimum results with his. He no longer has it and hunts with a Remington 300 SAUM. I guess our deer are just tougher or just have a larger will to live. As an Officer checking hunters most deer hunters up here carried .270's, .280's .308's, 30-06's, 7MM Mag, 300 Mag, 300WSM, 270WSM and some 25-06's. Real old timers carried 30-30's but they were a dying breed. The younger hunters mostly carried 7MM-08's or an occasional .243. Some of the real young hunters with their Dad had a H&R Handi Rifle in .223 which I frowned on but it was about all that they could shoot. In WV any centerfire rifle is legal to deer hunt with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad