Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to decide on a new hunting rifle but can't decide where the biggest gap is in the guns I already have such are a sav1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to decide on a new hunting rifle but can't decide where the biggest gap is in the guns I already have such are a sav1

I'm trying to decide on a new hunting rifle but can't decide where the biggest gap is in the guns I already have such are a sav17hmr a win30-30 and a good 7.62.54r I whould appreciate your input.

It would depend on what type of terrain you plan to hunt in. If you want a need experience get a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R and leave it completely original and hint with it open sight. Same for the .30-30 get either a Winchester or Marlin and leave it iron sighted for an old school hunting experience. Both rounds are underappreciated in the modern hunting world of whiz bang super magnum shoulder wreckers.

Comment

You did not say where you are or what you hunt so I will throw out some suggestions.
      A .223 like a ranch rifle or AR-15 type would fit in your gun safe. A 30-06 with scope of modern manufacturer would augment the Mosin.
      After that would be something in the .450 marlin or 45/70. That covers the range without getting into magnums.
      For handguns, a .22lr pistol or revolver and a .40S&W for a carry gun if you want one.
      I assume you have shotguns. If not get a good turkey/goose gun combo. Can also double as home protection.
      Someplace on a previous post the question asked was almost the same as you asked and various gun complements were listed. You might look back several pages and read the posts to that question.

Comment

May be 243/Win or 7mm-08/Rem,260/Rem its a 6.5x55.

Comment

I would be looking nearer a fast and flat rifle; 25-06, 30-06, .270, 7mm, .308 or a .300 win mag. Probably if it were me it would be a .25-06, .270 or .300 win mag. Something in that range would fill the void. But it would without doubt have good glass on it and be a bolt gun.

Comment

I agree with P-H-W... a fast flat rifle. Your 7.62x54 can do anything a 30-06 can do and will fill your top end. I suggest the 25-06 for you. It will shoot little 75g bullets at 3750 fps for varmints out to 500 yards and highly accurate target shooting. It will smack deer out to 500 yards with 100g bullets at 3350 fps. The 90g bullets go 3600 fps. It is a cross between a 22-250 and a .270. The next choice would be an AR in .223, especially if you have a lot of coyotes to eradicate.

It is outstanding for running game for minimum lead and holdover.

Comment

I'm sorry Jesse29- I read that you had a 7.62x39, not sure why I did that, but I didn't catch it until Dakota said that your x54 would fill the top end. If that is the case, I would go with a .25-06.

Comment

I think I see a need for a .22-250 and/or a .243 Win. I could be mistaken.

Comment

325 wsm no way out best rifle for the area

Comment

10point, perhaps you are right. What is the area? The 8mm WSM (or 325) is a pretty nice cartridge. So close to the .300 WSM or .300 Win it is hard to tell the difference. But why does he need that? I would say if he is in Alaska or just hunts elk all the time, the 325 WSM is OK but even then I could think of better cartridges for him for big game long distance power greater than the 7.62x54R.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad