Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know the shelf life of the new primers all the gun shop owners are talking about recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the shelf life of the new primers all the gun shop owners are talking about recently?

Does anyone know the shelf life of the new primers all the gun shop owners are talking about recently?

What new primers you talking about? I buy primers by the case and I keep them in a dry, dark, humidified house. Should last a long long time.

Comment

I spend more time hunting for primers than I do shooting lately. I'm not sure what you are referring to in terms of new primers. Right now, any primer hitting Georgia will be on the shelves for less than two days. The actual usable shelf life of any primer is decades... usually longer than the brass or the bullet with which it is packaged. Let us know if you have info on a new component please.

Comment

I'm still using Powder and Primers I bought back in 88 with no problems what so ever.

Besides, primers with reduced shelf life can cause a dangerous accident they would not to be sued over!

If they do have a shelf life, there would be an expiration date on them

Comment

Keep all you componentsw in a dark, cool and dry locker

Comment

Store in a cool (68-78 degrees), dry and dark area. They will last for decades.

Comment

They should work no matter what, as long as they are stored properly.. they would have an expiration date if they did expire.

Comment

I understand that a lead product has been removed from all new primers and that the self life is now on the order of 6 months to 1 1/2 years. I actually saw this information in a colored pamphlet at a local gun store. This dealer was passing them out to every customer. I understand that this type of primer is already in use by our current armed forces. Please keep your ears open and pass along any bit of information that you hear about this potential disaster.

Comment

The new primers he is reffereing to isn't really a new primer-what it is, is a different mixture of chemicals, and yes it does have a shelf life. The reasoning for it- The Government doesn't want all of the people stocking up on ammo to be able to use it when they outlaw ammo right out. Look at the 2nd ammendment-it says nothing about our right to bare ammo, so the Govt. will for sure combat our rights on this front, not gun control-ammo eradication. So yes teh new formula primers that were forced on the Ammo manufacturers have a shelf life-What that particular shelf life is, I am not sure-maybe call the manufacturer of the specific ammo you are speaking of. I think Hitenberger (Not sure if spelling is correct) out of Germany is the only Manuifactureer that refused to use the new shitty primers; there ammo is virtually impossible to find unless you know someone who distributes it, or hordes it like crazy!

Comment

They don't have an expiration date, because they don't expire on an exact date, and also because if they did you would know about it and be pissed off atyour Govt. and then do something about it, where as if you don't know, you can't take action, and when they outlaw ammo and show up to your door to take away whatever it is they want (possibly your guns, or you???) your gun wont go pop, the primer will not work, and they wqill have no dissent when making their total power grab.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                        by jhjimbo
                        So sorry for your loss....
                        Today, 10:40 AM
                      • More Bad News....
                        by WA Mtnhunter
                        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                        07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to More Bad News....
                        by Amflyer
                        Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                        Today, 10:26 AM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                        Today, 09:38 AM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X