Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurately can you shoot off-hand standing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurately can you shoot off-hand standing?

How accurately can you shoot off-hand standing?

MAT,
    I am experimenting off hand at this time since WAM mentioned he practices off hand shooting. So far I have tried a few, 3, rifles and have several to go. The results are eye opening. It is one thing on the bench, entirely different off hand. It does highlight the ones you need to practice with. A good study of just how much scope magnification you NEED, versus how much you can shoot off hand with.
    I have jumped several deer with my '94 30-30, some shot from the hip. but with a rifle with a scope it is totally different

Comment

Back in 95 before I etired, 98% MOCC, Minute Of Coffee Cup

Comment

Back in 95 before I retired, 98% MOCC, Minute Of Coffee Cup at 200 yards

Comment

Well, I don't suffer palsey, but I ain't the Rock of Gibraltar neither.
          Therefore, my box blind has a bench and bags. My ladder stand has a shooting rail. (longest shot about 60 yards) and my pop-up contains shooting sticks.
          Know you limits! Work within your limits! Use what ever aids necessary if you need to exceed those limits! Even aids won't extend limits but just so far, ya gotta know those limits too!

Comment

MOPP-Moment of Pie Plate.

Comment

I can still hit the 8" Gong at 100Yd 5 out of 5 with my Rem 742/06...and 3 out of 5 with my 5.3/4# Rem 7/7mm-08 TOO short TOO light.

Comment

Not as good as I used to, but better than I will. Time and gravity are cruel.

Comment

I have always stunk at offhand accuracy. I do fine when I have to shoot quickly but I use a rest whenever I can. I think I could hit a pie plate pretty well at 100 yards but that is about it.

I've always admired those who shoot so well offhand. My best man was one of the best offhand shooters around and he led our rifle team to great results because of it. One day, while three guys next to us were trying to hit four inch gongs off the bench at 100 hundred yards, he stood up with my bench rifle and clipped the wires on three consecutive disks from offhand just as he called them. They packed up their rifles and went home without ever hitting one.

Comment

Not a very good shot at any position.

Comment

Minute of milk jug out to 150 yards or so. Sometimes shoot 3-4" max from point of aim, not groups, @ 100 yards sitting. Not as good as I once was either. I don't consider myself a great shot FWIW.

Comment

I would say minute of pie plate would be a good day for me off hand standing at 100 yds. Minute of five gallon bucket might be better suited. Off the bench, I should be nearer minute of softball when off handed. When shooting normally off the bench, if I'm not MOA at 100 I blame the gun and not myself. I'm no great shot, but not too bad for having my eyes closed either!!

Comment

It's probably a fairly sad admission but I don't routinely put rounds down range off-hand standing. I do a crap load of shooting my 10/22 standing and have always been plenty satisfied with the results. Never even dreamed of putting a scope on my 10/22 though.

I also don't shoot any method other than what I'd be using in the field. prone on a bipod, sitting, or one knee. So my practice is what I use in the game. Prone and a bipod with my Rem 700 varmint in .243 and I very rarely miss a 3" at 200 yds.

Comment

I dint have a problem with it because I practice it with my .22, and as an archery instructor I practice off handed archery. What helps me is that my vision is co-dominant. I am originally right handed and left eye dominant but I learned to shoot right handed. After I started getting older I have gotten to where I can somewhat control it when I shoot a and it is fun for me to practice all methods. It does make rifle hunting from a stand much easier for me as well. I'm sure anyone can do it with enough practice.

Comment

Most folks find the results of off hand shooting unflattering at the range so do not practice, and it takes a lot of practice. Clay Cooper calls it training. Each week, at the range, focusing on form and trigger pull, I fire, off hand, several rounds through each rifle I take, plus 50 rounds through my bolt action Kimber 22 LR. During the week at home I dry fire off hand in my back yard. Hunting,I automatically look for a rest for my hand under the rifle forearm and support for my off elbow. Support is not always there and often no time for position shooting. Most observers, seem to feel I am OK at off hand, so this training seems to work for me. Only use this position when necessary, but it may make the difference in success or failure of the hunt of a lifetime, or indeed the safety of life and limb.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad