Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A while back I asked a question about my rifle and its accuracy problem. Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but, I am a horri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A while back I asked a question about my rifle and its accuracy problem. Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but, I am a horri

A while back I asked a question about my rifle and its accuracy problem. Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but, I am a horrible shot most of the time. Since I asked that question, I have done nothing but dry fire my rifle and practice breath control (and I check the tightness of the screws, but they were all plenty tight). I haven't shot it or anything. Well today I got out to check my zero and guess what? It was right on (or about as right on as I would expect from that rifle right out of the box). So, I guess I learned a lesson of humility. I was very happy with my results. It was well within MOD (Minute of deer).

Chewy... don't feel all alone there. That is the most common source of problem that I encounter when people have accuracy problems. Especially with high powered rifles. They make a very loud noise and most offer significant recoil.

The human brain is too smart for that punishment and responds by flinching, closing the eyes and jerking the trigger to overcome the brain's reluctance to make another big bang. You did the right thing by practicing the dry fire to train your brain that not all consequences are terrible and that you can survive the trigger squeeze.

If you continue to experience flinching, etc. have someone load your rifle for you, occasionally leaving the chamber empty without your knowledge. That further re-enforces you concentration on the trigger squeeze.

Comment

Good from DakotaMan. The fact that you admit you are a bad shot will take you a long way. I'm not a particularly good shot, but I don't shoot at game without some sort of rest (rifle)and I pick my shots. As a result, I don't miss very often, and have gotten a reputation as a good shot with my hunting buddies. You are on the right track by training yourself to do the right things and, though you may never win any competitive shoot events, you will bring home the bacon (or the antlers), which is what counts. Good hunting.

Comment

I am a decent shot on the bench. Throw in some buck fever with the elevated heart and respiratory rate, all bets are off. I have learned to slow down, relax, BREATHE, then squeeze the trigger. Bowhunting has actually helped me get used to that "jacked-up" feeling because buck encounters are frequently point blank and require one to calm down before shooting.

Comment

Country road - I am less concerned about antlers and more concerned about meat. I won't hesitate to shoot a buck, cause there is more meat. The antlers are a bonus.

steve 182 - I guess I am kinda the opposite. If I am in the field I am not thinking about the gun recoil or noise or flinch. I am just too excited. I am focused on the crosshairs and the deer. But on the bench I am thinking about the gun and the flinch and the bang and the recoil.

Comment

Very good comments by Dakota Man. I recommend also shooting with a rifle in 22 lr with the same type of action as your hunting rifle. I have a bolt action 22 lr that I practice with quite a bit. It's cheap and you develop good technique without the recoil and muzzle blast.

Comment

Very good comments by Dakota Man. I recommend also shooting with a rifle in 22 lr with the same type of action as your hunting rifle. I have a bolt action 22 lr that I practice with quite a bit. It's cheap and you develop good technique without the recoil and muzzle blast.

Comment

Some good advise and encouragement mentioned here. I shoot at an extremely busy range, over a weekend several hundred shooters may pass through. When I get a bit frustrated with my results I pass my spotting scope over neighboring targets. Low and behold, my targets are generally better than they are, even the ones belonging to folks just discussing their small groups. Have a hunch you may not be as bad as you think you are. On this site we tend to hear about our winners. It is kind of like gambling in Vegas, we forget our losers.

Keep hunting and practicing, or as Clay Cooper says keep training. Patience will pay off. Kindest Regards

Comment

Some good advise and encouragement mentioned here. I shoot at an extremely busy range, over a weekend several hundred shooters may pass through. When I get a bit frustrated with my results I pass my spotting scope over neighboring targets. Low and behold, my targets are generally better than they are, even the ones belonging to folks just discussing their small groups. Have a hunch you may not be as bad as you think you are. On this site we tend to hear about our winners. It is kind of like gambling in Vegas, we forget our losers.

Keep hunting and practicing, or as Clay Cooper says keep training. Patience will pay off. Kindest Regards

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad