Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate are Weatherby Mark Vs? Dallas' previous Weatherby Vanguard question got me wondering this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Safado, that has been my experience as well, particularly with my 7mm Weatherby which seems to shoot the 150 gr TTSX most accurately approaching 3,200 fps MV with a healthy dose of Accurate MagPro. I have some newly acquired Norma MRP that I'm going to try just for the heck of it.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    I have three (3) one in 22-250, one in .240 Weatherby Magnum and the third is a .340 Weatherby Magnum. All three shoot MOA or less, the .340 will put three in a cloverleaf at 100 yards consistently with factory ammo and is the most accurate. My Weatherby's are most accurate near max loads too whereas my other rifles tend to shoot more accurately with a load a few grains below max load. Other rifles typically gain accuracy by jamming the bullet into the lede but my Weatherby's don't I believe because of the freebore.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Ask Wyle E. if he felt safe at 345 yards last week. No wait, after the 168 gr TTSX arrived, his little chicken killing days were O-ver. Just how many do you detractors own? Likely none....

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Dakota,
    Google weatherby guarantee, it is all over the sites - Mark V is guaranteed 1 1/2" with factory ammo, Range Guarantee rifles are guaranteed and certified with test target less than .99".

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Most will shoot a one to two inch group or so with well tuned hand loads. Wby doesn't guarantee sub-MOA on the Mark Vs though. I've seen some stinkers in the mix too. The Ultra-Light Mark V has an extremely light barrel and consequently it is not free floated. It wanders around as it heats up following the first shot. Pressure from the fore arm keeps it pointing the same direction as the first shot but I wouldn't expect better than a three inch group. Some shoot OK, some don't. Mine is very accurate for placement of the first shot with a cold barrel. All subsequent shots are a crap shoot but it is fine for hitting deer and antelope out to 300 yards and that is all I use it for. I was disappointed that I couldn't hit a prairie dog or a fox past 200 yards but I got over it since I have other very accurate rifles.

My buddy has a Mark V in 30-378 that he used to shoot a mountain caribou at 727 yards. He hit it with each of four shots with 180g Accubonds so that isn't too bad. He almost cried however to find that his new .257 Wby had a tough time hitting 12 inch disks at 300 meters and he gave up trying to hit one at 500 meters. But that was a day when my boy scout troup of novices made him look real bad by shooting three inch disks at 500 meters all afternoon with my Rem Sendero 25-06 and my .223 Bushmaster Varminter. I think I could have gotten his .257 shooting better with tuned hand loads but you never know.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    What jhjimbo said....

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Yes, action is bedded then everything ahead of recoil lug is free floated. Several weeks ago, my Mark V was in the Gun Fight Friday, in synthetic stock with the wood stock next to it.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    Are the barrels on Weatherby rifles free-floated?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    MAT,I was sighting in my .300 WbyMag Mark V for a bear hunt. Three shots touching upper right corner on the target, then two slightly left of first group. I moved the scope adjustments to bring impact to almost dead center about 1" high and left it there for the hunt. The target is on my profile pictures(the red and white target).
    The Weatherby almost always shoots the first three shots touching from a cold, fouled barrel, the way I take it hunting with me. I believe Weatherby has a less than 1 MOA guarantee. I was using my reloads this time, 180gr Nosler Partition's at 3050fps, about 250fps less than max.
    I don't like to fire more than a few rounds from the bench but, when hunting, I never even feel the recoil when I shoot at game.

Leave a comment:

• How accurate are Weatherby Mark Vs? Dallas' previous Weatherby Vanguard question got me wondering this.

How accurate are Weatherby Mark Vs? Dallas' previous Weatherby Vanguard question got me wondering this.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad