Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of the 7mm Remington Magnum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of the 7mm Remington Magnum?

What do you guys think of the 7mm Remington Magnum?

M.A.T
    Check out the "Gun Nuts" blog.
    It was only a week or so ago there was a big discussion comparing the 7mmRM to the .270 Win.

The 7mm Rem Mag is just a noisy .270 Win.

Comment

Good round but I would rather use a .30-06 or a .270, but that's just me.

Comment

I had one several years ago and it was a fine round. I took one to BC on an elk hunt with me. After I got back home it became trading material for something that I thought I needed more than it. I would not hesitate getting another 7MM Mag. I prefer it to the 270 but I have never been a 270 fan. I have a .280 at the present time so I have no real need for a 7MM Mag at the present time.

Comment

Great round for any North American game with the right bullet. I have seen many clean kills on deer and elk by my hunting posse with their 7mm Rem Mags.

Comment

In the beginning, the 7mm Rem. Mag. was touted as a lighting bolt from the gods. Lately the .30-06 and 270 people beat up on it. The reality is that it is a fine cartridge with an exceptional array of bullets. You rarely would be under gunned or not have a flat enough trajectory with the 7mm Rem Mag. I feel that with a good handloader/shooter, this cartridge is one of the best.

Comment

For hand loaders and western U.S. hunters (where longer range deer shots are often necessary), this is a great cartridge. I feel that it has one of the nastiest recoils of any cartridge in the .223 to .375 H&H range. If you load 100g and 120g bullets, they are much milder though and do shoot like a laser. If you reserve the heavy bullets for elk hunting, you will enjoy it.

I see more nice 7mm Mags for $400 at Eastern gun shows than any other cartridge. Owners claim they don't like the recoil and must get rid of theirs. Of course 100 yards is a long shot to them and the 7mm Mag is way overkill for Eastern deer at that range.

I typically shoot a 25-06 for deer sized game with similar ballistics and much less recoil and I prefer a .300 magnum sized cartridge (.300 Win, .300 Wby, .300 Dakota) for elk sized game for better range. If you want one rifle for long range deer through elk and you reload, the 7mm Mag will do an amazing job for you. You should also take note that the 7mm WSM is an amazingly accurate cartridge having registered record 1000 yard accuracy results. I would personally get that one in a long action for better long range accuracy if you get a custom barrel or have an interest in long rang shooting.

Comment

What FirstBubba said---. I've owned one for 40 years and killed a lot of deer with it, but not in the past 15 or so years. I like my .270 and love my 7mm08 much better.

Comment

The 7mmRemMag and the Weatherby's Big 7, will be around for a long, long time. The do burn some powder and kick some, but they get the bullet out there. 7mm/.284 bullets have some of the best B.C. of any. The non magnum 7mm's are also tops in their class - highly efficient cartridges with remarkable results.
                  If it were not for the love affair with the 30-06 and the other .30cal's, the .284/7mm's could very well have become the American favorite caliber - IMHO.

Comment

Looking ay the ratio of powder consumed:velocity gained, the old '06 is still a kick A round!
                    I almost wish I could live another 100 years. I'd like to see how cartridges" improve" (?) over the next few generations!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad