Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the major advantages of reloading rifle ammunition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the major advantages of reloading rifle ammunition?

What are the major advantages of reloading rifle ammunition?

1. Accuracy
    2. Tailoring load to your game
    3. Satisfaction of shooting your game with your own loads
    4. Somewhat of a savings after you have all of your reloading equipment paid for.

Comment

Whut Sarge sed!
      To me, THE number one reason is cost.
      Reloaded ammo saves 60-70%. Which means you can shoot a lot more for the same $!
      Then, tailoring your ammo for a specific firearm or game.
      Like Sarge, there is a deep sense of satisfaction in using your "own" ammo!
      ...and in loading hard to find ammo.

Comment

What sarge said is the main reasons, it will take a great deal of reloading time to reap the rewards of saving money. The plus side you will have very tight tolerances compared to factory ammunition. If you shoot a lot it is well worth the investment. It is getting more expensive to reload because not just the price of ammo jumped in the past couple of years so did the components, bullets, primers, brass, and powder.

Comment

My reloading goal is accuracy. When you develop a load for a rifle and it shoots five shots in one hole it is very satisfying. That degree of attention to detail is not necessary for everyone, for instance, hunting rounds can be developed with a wider range of bullets available to the reloader. You can select a bullet to match the game you are hunting. Want to shoot long range, there is a good selection of VLD bullets that you probably could not find in factory ammo. Another benefit is to tailor a load to a particular gun. I have a Remington 7400 30-06 with 18 1/2" barrel. With regular ammo it is a real flame thrower, - it will clear out a shooting range after only a few shots fired. When you load your own you can select a powder that has a faster burn rate and then you have solved a problem.
          Reloading can allow you to have ammo during periods of market disruption like we have just gone through. The components of reloading have excellent shelf lives when stored properly.
          Start reloading when you can and you can do it for the rest of your life. Ask any additional questions you have and the folks on this site will be glad to help you out.
          Good Luck.

Comment

I have several rifles for which factory ammunition is either limited in selection or very expensive. Mainly, I load for bullet selection that is not available in factory ammo. Cost is a factor with 2 Weatherby cartridges and .358 Winchester.

Comment

Especially at the point, ammunition for some of my rifles is very difficult to find and expensive to purchase. I could not justify the expense of factory ammunition for the rifles I enjoy. In the best of times, there are (were) limits to the spectrum of possibilities in factory ammunition, but handloading permits me the broadest possible selection as well as optimum precision. Though often time-consuming, reloading provides me with a relaxing pastime and the foreknowledge that my ammunition is consistent and well-crafted for the situations I anticipate and prepare for, and allows me to practice more regularly. The rifle range becomes a laboratory, and I enjoy the practice session (and the results).

Comment

M.A.T.
                Great question and excellent responses from those who have responded. In my opinion the best reason is that it frees you from wht whims of the Government and the marketplace. I am passionate about reloading so I have enough components that I never have to buy another factory round unless I choose to. I have stated several times on this blog that the Government does not have to take our guns they can just make it very difficult to buy ammo. California tried to make it illegal to buy ammo in the mail!!! In this recent ammo shortage I have only been affected by the shortage of 22 LR because I can't load my own. Just like WAM I have several Weatherby proprietary cartridges. Factory ammo for them is very expensive. I bought both of those rifles used at a good cost because it can be hard to sell a Weatherby due to the cost of factory ammunition. I also live in California so must use copper bullets. I like the way that they perform but they can be pricey in factory loads, for a hand loader the price is negligible. There really is a sense of satisfaction when you put 5 shots in one ragged hole and you made the round yourself. Finally it allows you to shoot a lot more often because your ammo cost so much less, and I love to shoot. If you like to shoot and shoot often you really need to consider re-loading.

Comment

Safado, great summation.

Comment

Great responses. I reload because:

1. Accuracy achieved by tuning the load to my rifle.

2. Ability to use bullets not offered by ammo manufacturers (e.g. 75g 25-06 varmint loads, 110g 30-06 varmint loads, long range loads using Berger bullets, etc.)

3. Reduced cost. I can load a box of .375 H&H for $15 instead of paying $80-$120 per box.

4. Its a fun hobby and keeps me up on the latest developments in bullets, powders, accuracy techniques.

I've only bought one box of factory ammo in my life and have easily loaded over 50,000 rounds of centerfire ammo. I'd be in poverty if I had bought them over the counter. What is worse is that I would probably have missed over 50% of the shots I've fired.

Comment

Safado... good comment... however, please note that our government can control the reloading components too. They are buying all they can. I've been looking for a can of Varget powder all year. In the last month I've personally searhed all web resources and visited over 25 stores from Atlanta to Butte Montana searching for Varget. NO one had it! I've been searching for several other components (e.g. Retumbo, magnum rifle primers, etc.) all year and buy them whenever I can find them someplace in the U.S.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad