Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my favorite guns -Marlin 1895GS- has the original buckhorn sight and bead, but now I'm thinking of putting optics on her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my favorite guns -Marlin 1895GS- has the original buckhorn sight and bead, but now I'm thinking of putting optics on her

One of my favorite guns -Marlin 1895GS- has the original buckhorn sight and bead, but now I'm thinking of putting optics on her. What low power scope can best withstand the .45-70 shock time after time and still hold a zero? Thanks for suggestions-

Hadda 1895SS with micro-groove rifling and a Weaver 4X scope.

It wood shoot MOA groups.

The powder fur thet beast is rather slow-burning, so shock vibrations are not the problem you might expect.

Comment

I had the .450 Marlin 1895M and put a williams peep sight on it. I used it without any inserts and it was super fast sight picture for up to 100yd shots.

Comment

I have the full size Marlin 1895 and have a Leupold 2x7x33 Rifleman scope on it. I have two relatives with the same combination. If you get a quality scope brand like Leupold, Redfield or Nikon you will do fine. I would not waste money putting a cheap scope on it and would not get higher than 2x7 power. The 2x7 works well for shots within 125 yards which is where the .45-70 shines.

Comment

Since you didn't say there was a budget, first choice would be Leupold VX-2 in the 2-7x33 or the 1-4x20, which is actually 1.4-4x20, and costs $300, or the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 which cost $300. If price is a problem then I'd pick the Nikon Prostaff in 2-7x32 which runs about $150 at your local gun store, the Vortex Diamond Back 2-7x35 which costs $190, and finally the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75-5x32 which costs $190 and also has Rainguard lens coating . I wouldn't spend under $100 on a scope. And all of which will handle recoil just fine, and are plenty clear.

Comment

Ah crap, Great comments- now I have a decision to make: Williams or Leupold !
            I like both (and I'm a firm believer of dropping a few extra dollars on glass to make sure it's there when you need it). I too was thinking 2x or 4x and was hoping to find one with a #4 post.......in silver to match the gun too!

Comment

Ah crap, Great comments- now I have a decision to make: Williams or Leupold !
              I like both (and I'm a firm believer of dropping a few extra dollars on glass to make sure it's there when you need it). I too was thinking 2x or 4x and was hoping to find one with a #4 post.......in silver to match the gun too!

Comment

With that setup, it would be hard to beat a Leupold fixed 4X.
                Williams peep!? Also a superb choice!

Comment

Ditto FirstBubba,
                  If you want a scope with magnification it is hard to beat a fixed power. It will likely be lighter and brighter than most variables.
                  If you don't need the magnification red dot sights are another option.I have an EOTech on my 45/70 lever action and it is great for both eyes open shooting at close range and is precise enough for hunting at longer ranges. Certainly within the 45/70's somewhat limited range.

Comment

My 1985Guide wears a Nikon shot gun scope and does really well. I did have a red dot on it and t worked great out to 100 yards But once hunted in a rain storm, at the red dot clouded up. The red dot had to go.

The Nikon is accurate out to 200 yards using 45.-70 off the shelf factory hollow points, sighted in for 100 yards. I was grouping at about 3 inches at 200 yards with the graduated Nikon shot gun scope (and Nikon Spot on software, telling me the exact holdover).

Never had to shot a deer at 200 years. So the 1895 is perfect for me.

Comment

My 1985Guide wears a Nikon shot gun scope and does really well. I did have a red dot on it and t worked great out to 100 yards But once hunted in a rain storm, at the red dot clouded up. The red dot had to go.

The Nikon is accurate out to 200 yards using 45.-70 off the shelf factory hollow points, sighted in for 100 yards. I was grouping at about 3 inches at 200 yards with the graduated Nikon shot gun scope (and Nikon Spot on software, telling me the exact holdover).

Never had to shot a deer at 200 years. So the 1895 is perfect for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad