Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought the Savage B Mag .17WSM today, ,17 cal 20gr bullet at 3,000fps. I put a 4X16 scope on it. Winchester says it will t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought the Savage B Mag .17WSM today, ,17 cal 20gr bullet at 3,000fps. I put a 4X16 scope on it. Winchester says it will t

I bought the Savage B Mag .17WSM today, ,17 cal 20gr bullet at 3,000fps. I put a 4X16 scope on it. Winchester says it will take a coyote at 300yds. I will post a picture.

Wouldn't try a shot that far on anything but a prairie dog with such a small bullet.Personal choice, coyotes are quite a little tougher than they get credit for, besides that a light breeze will move that small bullet quite a little. Keep us updated, but I doubt I will switch from my Savage 22-250 anytime soon, it is bad voodoo for any coyote that crosses its path.

Comment

I love my 250, was thinking about getting one of them b mags. Update us on how it shoots.

Comment

Out to 300 yards? Maybe an enraged bull cottontail!
        Montana is right on far as I'm concerned.
        There is just too much external influence for a bullet that small and that light!
        I've witnessed first hand a .22-250/coyote conference! WOW! What more could you ask for?
        My .22 Hornet is pretty sweet coyote medicine. If I can get my DPMS going like I'd like, I think the .223/5.56mm round is coyote "friendly".

As a young man and a reloader, I was constantly (as most reloaders are want!) to fiddle with lighter bullets and blistering speeds.
        I have discovered that "all things in moderation" is a pretty good rule of thumb!
        The .22-250 is a superb reach out and touch 'em 'yote round. The .223 is just as effective with maybe a bit less range.
        Even "vermin" deserve to be "quickly" dispatched!
        Though it works, and rather well when properly applied, I find those .17's just out of place on anything much bigger than a prairie dog.
        Just my "opinion"!

Comment

FirstBubba, I am going by the claims of Winchester. I am looking at the B Mag as a walking varmint gun using a stick. No way can I carry my Rem 700 22-250, heavy barrel. I also have a Ranch rifle in .223. I am just trying something new. The .17 is a necked down contractor.25cal blank, the one that shoots anchors into concrete.
          The .17 is said to be LESS affected by cross wind because of the high speed per Winchester. Also, it has a picture of a coyote on the box.
          So, I will know soon if it lives up to their claims. The other thing is ammo is $15/100 so it is affordable. I paid $340 out the door plus I have about $40 of coupons that came with the deal.

Comment

Check this out

www.gunsandammo.com/2013/06/11/17-winchester-super-magnum/

Comment

Okay jimbo.
              Hey! If it works, who cares?
              Almost anything is worth a try!
              Let us know how it performs.

Comment

jhjimbo,
                I've been looking for one of those after reading I believe DEP's review. Keep us posted on how it shoots. It's a Savage so I suspect it will be a tack driver.

Comment

I hunt the open prairies of Montana where wind is almost always blowing. Speaking from my personal experiences the smaller the projectile, no matter the speed, will be affected more by wind than a larger projectile at a similar speed. Probably be bad medicine on coyotes at ranges from 0-150 yards. The ammo cost seems like a plus and I can also appreciate the walking varmint gun principle, just am a bit leery of the claims by Winchester. Hope it shoots well for you.

Comment

If anyone is near sportsmens den in Shelby ohio they have them on sale for 289.00. Best deal I have seen so far.

Comment

EJH,
                      I have been to Sportsmens Den and actually bought my Remington 700 22-250 varmint gun there - excellent prices. I grabbed the Savage B Mag because it was there, I had it in my hands and could not let go, and I wound up with about $40 dollars in coupons. Also, got a supply of ammo.
                      Jim

Comment

Read P.O.Ackleys book on what a .17 caliber bullet will do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad