Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate does a rifle need to be to do 600 yard hunting and shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate does a rifle need to be to do 600 yard hunting and shooting?

How accurate does a rifle need to be to do 600 yard hunting and shooting?

A 1" group, MOA, would be approximately a 5" group at 600yds.

Comment

MOA at 600 yards is 6" group not 5" it really depends on what your shooting at 600 yards the vitals of a prairie dog are smaller than an elk, my personal rifle with me shooting is usually around 4" group, the rifle will shoot better, thats just what i can do with it.

Comment

I meant 600 yard big game hunting and recreational shooting.

Comment

I have never fired a shot at game at a distance of 600 yds. At this point in life, given the opportunity, I doubt I'd take it, and my .30-'06 is gratifyingly accurate at 100-200-300 yds.
          Consider the vital area of the game. Can your rifle group within that heart/lung radius? Better question: Can YOU shoot accurately at that distance under field conditions? I wouldn't take the shot if I wasn't relatively confident that I could connect. Honestly, I'd shoot at paper targets at 500-600 yards, but I'd have to be well prepared to shoot at game at that distance, and I'm not.

Comment

Very, very few people should take a 600 yard shot at big game. You should have a good rest, and very good conditions. You owe it to the animal.

Comment

I'm probaly not going to ever take a shot at that range, but would like a rifle that could.

Comment

I'm probaly not going to ever take a shot at that range, but would like a rifle that could.

Comment

Not to discount what was said above, but a 1" group at 100 yds does not always translate to a 6" group at 600 yds. The variables at 600 yds are magnified and if not properly calculated, wind especially, you'll be lucky to hit paper at 600 yds in spite of your 100 yd groups. In a hundred yards the wind does not have enough time to greatly affect trajectory of some loads, but at 600 yds you had better judge it properly. Also if you're off a 1/4" in your ballistics calculations at 100 yds, that's at least 1.5" at 600... so your groups could open up considerably.

Comment

Tighter than a frogs butt. Some loads group 1 or 1.5" at 100 but at longer distances tighten up to under moa, I have seen it.
                    There are many things to consider in shooting longer distances and the big one is stacking tolerances.
                    If a rifle is .75-1" moa consistently thru the distance then lets say 5-6" at 600 (it is possible to stay 3-5" at 1000) Well you misjudge the wind by 3 mph or do not account for thermal updraft, canyon crosswind etc, then you pull ever so slightly all the while your factory load has an ES of 40-50 fps next thing you have is a clean miss or a very bad hit.
                    IMHO shooting over 400 yds, I only trust handloads with single digit ES and temp stable powders, a good range finder, your bullet velocity measured thru a chronagraph and drops double checked by actually shooting a target at 500 yds to verify the drop with a ballistic calculator. Use high bc bullets. Basically reduce the amount of possible errors as much as possible.
                    Check out "long range hunter" forum. By just looking thru the posts and articles for a while you will get a great starting point to start shooting farther. Shooting is a perishable skill so you have to do it a bunch and in different conditions, positions and terrain.

Comment

Sorry forgot to include the scope..it had better track true every time when adjusting the turret and return back to zero everytime without backlash. The list of scopes that will do this are few but they are all expensive, I only have two that I trust blindly.

Comment

I agree with about posts, anything shooting above 1 MOA I wouldn't rely on. That is 1 inch at 100 yards, 6 inches at 600 yards. So as long as you can hit a cantaloupe at 600 yards with your rifle, you should be fine.

Comment

Knowing how to read the wind and trajectory and tempature plays a vital role in long range shooting. You have to use your head more then your rifle when shooting at long ranges. There is alot of knowledge on this site and I hope that some of the other long range shooters weather hunters or ex military will back me up on this. I usally always had a spotter which helped.

Comment

To start, a 1 MOA rifle would be optimal. At ranges past 300 yards, the wind, accurate range to the target, parallax of the scope, predictable bullet drop, and your steady eye and hand are much bigger factors. I dare say that most nimrods should not be shooting past 200 yards without lots of practice with the right equipment.

Comment

In my opionion,,I am sorry but you have read too many stories. There is no reason to be hunting at 600yds and there are very few hunters that would attempt that shot nor should they. One quarter mile shots by any hunter under hunting conditions are not ethical.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad