Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you select a scope? Some major catalogs have 10 or more manufacturers listed with as many models. In store, probably ev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some thought, and rereading 06's post, I've come to this conclusion.
    A scope's "value" should be based on "clarity" and "consistency".
    If it will hold "zero" and it doesn't "fog", I'd say it's a keeper.
    Those if us who "know" also understand that some brand names are just more consistent with those qualities.

Comment

I guess I have a diffferant scope rule of thumb than most the people on here. I buy a scope that can do what the rifle can do, regardless of the rifle's price. For instance I'm going to put a $310 scope on a Savage 111 that costs about $350-$400. The reason I'm putting that scope on that rifle is because the rifle can do the things a $600 rifle can.

Comment

Leupold and Nikons are my top two I think. I also tend to value warranty highly. Not only can you have a mishap in the field but a friend of mines had a crazy now ex-wife while in the early phases of divorce, break 3 of his Leupold scopes. Just threw them on the floor and they shattered. He sent them back and I think they repaired one and replaced two. On equipment that you will spend upwards of $300 on, having that kind of back end protection is invaluable. I believe all Leupold's have this warranty, and most Nikons do as well.

Not to mention that both are damn good optics brands

Comment

every one of my rifles, slug gun, and muzzleloader carry leupold glass, and there is a good reason for it. its what my dads always used, and its what i have always used. have never had a single issue, and dont plan on having an issue.

Comment

If it is for a gun that will be used to put meat on the table I usually look over all the offerings from different manufacturers and then I go buy a Leupold.
            I do have a couple Prostaff's on varmint rifles and one Bushnell 6500 which is a nice scope but not any better than a VX3 and cost about 50 bucks more. The Prostaff scopes are super values for the money.
            I do agree with 99 that I am not going to pay the extra money for the last couple of percentage points. I have yet to encounter a situation where the Leupold scopes I own failed in any way or cost me an animal through lack of performance. Not saying it couldn't happen but they have a 25 year track record with me.
            Otherwise I balance intended use with available cash and buy the best I can afford. I typically prefer scopes in the 2x7-8 range.

Comment

It seems my scopes run the gamut from Bushnell a couple of Tasco World Class, to Burris, Redfield(50years old), four Weaver(steel tube), several Leupolds and a Swarovski.
              I have not done the 'four corner test' on all of them but have no complaints about any of them for the rifle and purpose I use them for.
              I have had to have service from Tasco and Swarovski(both excellent C.S.). Three Weavers I sent back for cleaning and touch up(again excellent service). Never touched the Burris, three Leupolds or Redfield.
              I am not sure how I would go about looking for another scope - I guess I will go to a store that has a big array of the current models with all the bells and whistles and spend the afternoon. I hear the stories about what others consider frontrunners so I will definitely check them out. Next scope purchase will be for a Savage B Mag, .17WSM.

Comment

I am partial to Leupold, especially since I can get a 40% military discount on most of their stuff. Also their customer service is top notch. I left my adjustment caps at the range one day so I called them to try to order new ones and they just shipped me new ones absolutly free of charge.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad