Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gun do you usually reach for when you're going deer or big game hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gun do you usually reach for when you're going deer or big game hunting?

What gun do you usually reach for when you're going deer or big game hunting?

Where I live I am in Shotgun territory, so I am no help with rifles. But for shotguns I always reach for my trusty Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12Ga. Couldn't have a more trusty gun

Comment

A custom Remington 700 in .284 win.

Comment

My Sako A7 in 300WSM

Comment

My Sako A7 in 300WSM

Comment

One thing about deer hunting there are literally dozens of rifles, calibers and bullets to choose from. All of them work fine. I have used ten or so calibers from 243 through 300 Win Mag. Guess my favorites would be 257 Ackley. 280 Rem, or one of my 300s.....then of course there are my 270 or 06, and the beat goes on.

Comment

Geez, forgot my 25-06

Comment

Depends. If I know the area, for 100yd shots on deer I might take my Winchester 94 or scoped Marlin 336 in 30-30. If I know longer shots may present, I might take my Weatherby Mk V in .300WbyMag for 250+yds for deer and bear. For bear, the Remington 7400 30-06 carbine as we hunt them the last legal hour or so of light. If I have no idea the terrain, for deer or bear I would take my Remington 700 in 30-06.
                When I get tired of carrying any of the above, I will pull out the Mauser in 6.5X55(it is usually along on a trip as a back up gun) a super, very capable rifle .

Comment

Primitive arms - T/C Omega Z5 w/ Weaver K4-1 or T/C Renegade .54
                  Regular gun - Ruger No. 1 - .270 Win or Parker Hale in .270 Win.
                  (Yeah! I like me some .270 Win!)

Comment

Depends on the game and anticipated length of shot.
                    Pronghorn Antelope- .240 Weatherby Magnum.
                    Whitetail- .270 Win.
                    Muledeer- .270 Win or 30-06.
                    Black Bear- .308 Win or 30-06.
                    Hogs- .308 Win or 30-06.
                    Elk- 30-06 or .340 Weatherby Magnum.
                    Brown Bears- .340 Weatherby.
                    I also usually carry a back-up, the back-up is usually the 30-06. All rifles are scoped except one 30-06 reserved for up close work on hogs and bears.

Comment

My other rifle (besides .22LR!) is a 6.8mm Ruger Ranch! (that's .277 caliber!)
                      Of course there's the .223 and the .22 Hornet.

Comment

When I lived out West it was the .300 win. Now that I'm in the South, the .25-06 it is.

Comment

Whitetail a 770 Remington .270

Comment

My current favorite for deer is a CVA in 45/70. I am hoping to break in a Ruger #1 in 7x57 this year. The thick brush and close range shots in MN seem to call for a larger bullet at medium velocity.
                            For black bear I use an ERShaw .308 with a Henry lever action in 45/70 as backup.
                            If elk is the game then I reach for my .270 A-bolt.
                            I could probably do 99% of my hunting with any one of the above but what fun would that be?

Comment

Remington 7600 30-06 or my Marlin XL7 30-06, sometimes the Winchester 64 30-30.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad