Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel if not what should you use for each?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel if not what should you use for each?

Can you shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel if not what should you use for each?

Shoot sabot slugs in a rifled barrel.

Comment

Smooth bore barrels work best with slug designed for it, like federal trueball or KO slugs. while rifled barrels work best with saboted slugs. Best advice I can give you is to try 4 or 5 different brands and use the one that gives you the best accuracy from your particular gun

Comment

Yes, because the rifling on slug is made to make slug spin when it's out of the barrel going through the air. It's not the best thing to do though because the rifled slug will foul the barrel pretty bad. So it's probaly best to shoot what was made for each barrel.

Comment

sabots for rifled barrel, and rifled slugs for smooth bores.

Comment

Do not shoot rifled slugs from a rifled barrel even though you can. If your concerned about the price of sabot slugs then sell the gun or buy a smooth bore barrel for your gun. Use the correct ammo or don't use it at all.

Habben has it correct. Follow the advice!

Comment

Like others have said, you can but youd be better off with sabot slugs. Also, trying a few different brands is a good idea. Slugs are finicky. My 870 shoots remington sabot hollow points like a champ but my dads gun cant hit a pie plate with them at 70 yards but hornadys shoot great through his gun.

Comment

I understand I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've been shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel my entire life and have routinely killed deer 120 yards or further, out to around 165 yards. If you find the right combination they will shoot excellently. I use both a Mossberg 500 20 gauge (Mossberg rifled barrel) as well as a Remington VersaMax 12 gauge (Remington rifled barrel) and shoot Remington Sluggers through both. Yes, they do foul the barrel, but if you don't clean your gun that is entirely your own fault. Moral of the story is to find ANY accurate combination of gun and slugs and you can be very successful!

Comment

I've got a mossberg 88 maverick 12 gauge with a,24 in fully rifled barrel that ice use the remington slugger rifled foster slugs with for the past 16 years and have never had any problems so,far. I am still dead on with the remington copper,solid sabot slugs still, but the remington sluggers are just as accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Dcast View Post
                    Do not shoot rifled slugs from a rifled barrel even though you can. If your concerned about the price of sabot slugs then sell the gun or buy a smooth bore barrel for your gun. Use the correct ammo or don't use it at all.

Habben has it correct. Follow the advice!
                    Well some of us don't have the finds to do so.. so for me I have no choice.. making it sound so easy.. I was lucky to get my Mossberg 500a 12ga 24in rifle barrel handed down to me.. I have several 3in 1 oz rifle slugs left over.. so unfortunately I can't afford to go out and buy the sabot slugs for $14 a box of 5.. not to mention sighting in a scope and iron sights.. so for this season I'm stuck with the rifle slugs till next srason.. unless u wanna buy em for me and not sound so rich.. I kinda think u could of worded it a little bit better then ya did sorry to be honest.. but thank u for your great and bitter answer.. u must be very rich..

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad