Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best centerfire rifle for under $500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best centerfire rifle for under $500?

What's the best centerfire rifle for under $500?

For me it's the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP. It's a $500 rifle but it comes with a Nikon Prostaff so it's probaly more like $350-$400 rifle.

Comment

Remington 783. Their ad shows a 5 shot group of 3/4". I think they have a rebate offer going on right now that should make it a great value.

Comment

jimbo is spot on. The new Remington 783 has a manufacturer's suggested list price of $451. It is an economy grade Model 700.
        It was just written up in the November issue of The American Rifleman, and was give a very favorable review.

Comment

I'll echo M.A.T's response with a Savage 111.

Comment

I like the Savage M/111 over the unproven New Rem M/783 only time will tell,The Savage has a Great Track Record.

Comment

The 783 looks promising but, it just came out so I don't know anything about it. I guess Remington finally realized the needed an entry level rifle since multiple manufacurers are producing rifles that perform just as good as their's . And another thing that made Remington realize they needed an entry level rifle was that the last entry level rifle they produced was the 770, which was a flop.

Comment

Marlin has a decent series of value priced rifles. For a little more money you can get a weatherby vanguard which you would not regret.

Comment

My personal pick would be the savage axis. Savage makes a great rifle. Part of this is do to their Accutrigger which is the best trigger I have ever come across.

Comment

Whatever was traded in at your local guns dealer and is worth far more than $500.

Comment

The new Remington 783.

Comment

The Howa 1500 would get my vote as the most accurate and reliable in that range. With the Hogue stock they are about $500 ($570 w/fluted barrel). This is not a cheap rifle. This rifle will probably shoot under .5 MOA out of the box and can do better with glass bedding. Excellent availability of aftermarket stocks and parts. Mine went to Montana elk/mulie hunting with me this fall while my Rem 700 and Weatherby stayed in the safe. I LIKE it (it shoots .1 MOA to .4 MOA depending on the ammo).

The Savage 111 will shoot nearly as well as the Howa... a very good rifle but the looks and the clunky bolt may offend some. It is accurate and reliable though and will last a lifetime.
                        Remington also makes the Rem 700 ADL that comes in at about $400 with cheap Tasco or Bushnell throw away scope in the big box stores. I saw one for $379 yesterday without scope. This is the same famous Rem 700 receiver that is configured in their more expensive rifles. No floor plate, fancy stock or adjustable trigger. It will get you going and it will be easiest of all to upgrade any way you choose over the rest of your life. You can put the stock of your choice on one for about $200. You can put a great Timney trigger on one for about $100.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad