Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was handed down a Remington 1978 700 .30-06 wit the finish on the barrel and receiver worn off in places. I was going to refin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was handed down a Remington 1978 700 .30-06 wit the finish on the barrel and receiver worn off in places. I was going to refin

I was handed down a Remington 1978 700 .30-06 wit the finish on the barrel and receiver worn off in places. I was going to refinish it myself with the DIY blueing kits but have heard it does not turn out well. I emailed Remington and they said they would refinish it for $200. Do you know any places or any other methods for refinishing the barrel and receiver?

If you want the finish to be 'factory' sending to Remington would be the way to go. $200 is in the ball park. Wait till after hunting season as it may take some time to get it back.
    I have seen some DIY processes that seem to do a nice job. Gun shows usually have vendors selling different blue processes.
    A local gunsmith might also be a consideration. There are different 'levels' of blue - the deepness and richness of the blue can be dependent on the process and the buffing.
    The instructions with my Weatherby said the blue on the receiver on my Weatherby MK V took 8 man hours to achieve. So, different degrees of blue = different cost.
    Lastly, if you are not interested in 'factory' looks, there are several other coating process available that you might investigate.
    Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad