Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking or invest in a long range hunting rifle. The areas I hunt in Maine shots in the 300-500 yard range are not uncommon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking or invest in a long range hunting rifle. The areas I hunt in Maine shots in the 300-500 yard range are not uncommon

I am looking or invest in a long range hunting rifle. The areas I hunt in Maine shots in the 300-500 yard range are not uncommon. I am consider a 300 win mag. Whats your thoughts on the caliber selection and what rifle would you recommend?

Any .30cal mag or 7mmMag. Reloaders like the 25-06 to .280 size calibers.
    Personally, I would go with .300WbyMag in a Weatherby Mk V or Vanguard. Suitable for anything you will encounter to 500yds plus.
    Good hunting

Comment

A .300 Win Mag or .300 Wby Mag as jhjimbo recommended sounds like a good choice. As for rifles, a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter would be an excelent choice.

Comment

You say you Hunt Main at 300Yd to 500Yd is Uncommon. WoW JMO~ A 338~Lapua With a 250gr BTHP/with 3455Ft#@300Yd and 2796ft#@500yd in any Rifle you Choose, It will take any thing in Mains Zip Cods.

Comment

Handloader, .300 Weatherby, non-handloader .300 Win Mag. Same for 7mm.

Comment

.300wm or 7mm rm

Comment

The .308 Win or .30-06 Spg are perfectly capable cartridges without all the noise and recoil.
              The word "magnum" in the cartridge designation isn't always the answer.

Comment

I am glad to see that you consider this purchase an investment, and not money "spent."

Comment

I'm a big fan of the .300 RUM. My remington 700 really likes 180 grain barnes tipped triple shock and if you happen to be hunting moose the extra knock down power will come in handy. If you're hunting smaller game the .300 Win mag should be great as well!

Comment

Bigmac0378, you must be in the southern part of Maine with all the fields.

I never saw a 300 to 500 yard shot in the north. Lol
                    The northern part is wall to wall forest.
                    My 30.06 pump took many bucks in the north off the Golden Road.

Comment

Gary D- Aroostook county has wall to wall potato fields, some of them must be a thousand yards long, or longer. But if he's not in the county, he's gotta be shooting island to island.

Comment

300 win mag will do just fine just finished sighting my new weatherby vangaard s2 in with a nikon scope on it. Works and feels great. The price was really good as well. I load mine with either Nosler 180 grain Accubond or 180 grain partition protected point Both have taken some nice elk and deer.

Comment

BigMac could be hunting a power line clear cut. A friend on a hunt in Michigan shot a deer 5 power poles away, up hill with a 30-06. He got it on the third shot. Those poles were 100 yds apart.

Comment

I recommend that you don't shoot at deer that far away. Odd, I never associated Maine with Great Plains type hunting environment.

Comment

Many years ago, I sold my 300 Win Mag and replaced it with a 25-06, never looked back and for those long range shots, O'DO I LIKE THAT HARD DRY FIRE LIKE RECOIL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad