Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a chance to buy a marlin model 81 from the same person who gave me my Model 12. It needs a rear sight but is also drilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a chance to buy a marlin model 81 from the same person who gave me my Model 12. It needs a rear sight but is also drilled

I have a chance to buy a marlin model 81 from the same person who gave me my Model 12. It needs a rear sight but is also drilled and tapped for a side mounted scope mount and has a mount for a peep sight. He is said he would sell it and 100 rounds of ammo to me for $56, should I go for it? If anyone that has experience with this rifle would chime in it would be appreciated

I have one. Actually belongs to my father-in-law. He left it here years ago. It's the only gun in his "collection" that isn't pure junk. I have used it for grouse hunting. Seems to be a fine rifle. I also have a Marlin Model 1881 in 40-60. The first model lever action rifle the company ever made. It wasn't an overwhelming success! They did much better with later attempts.

Comment

He actually just found it in his closet along with an old single shot 12 gauge. Doesn't know where or when he got them, didn't even know he had 'em. Do you know of a scope mount that would fit this rifle? I plan on putting a 4x32 on it

Comment

Midway has what you need. Here's the link.

www.midwayusa.com/product/119028/weaver-side-mount-scope-base-2-gloss

Comment

Assuming it has received decent care and functions reliably, I'd say $56 is a good price. If you prefer, you may be able to find a receiver sight for it from Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corporation) in West Hurley, NY, or the scope base that Ontario Honker has located will permit the use of a scope. A good .22 rimfire is well worth $56.

Comment

Thank you Edward. Think I will buy the rear sight first as the funds aren't there for the scope mount right now. She cycles and and fires, though it was an accidental dry fire when I was taking the bolt out. I'm thinking 25 yards would be a good sight it range, what do you think?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
              by 99explorer
              CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
              Anybody
              Today, 01:09 AM
            • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
              by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
              Yesterday, 09:27 AM
            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
              by 99explorer
              Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
              Today, 12:57 AM
            • The George Floyd case.
              by FirstBubba
              Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
              Minnesota...
              Yesterday, 10:23 PM
            • Reply to The George Floyd case.
              by crm3006
              My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
              Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X