Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My .30-06 (if it makes a difference it is a .30-06 springfield) is shooting erratically. Sometimes it is shooting right on, and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My .30-06 (if it makes a difference it is a .30-06 springfield) is shooting erratically. Sometimes it is shooting right on, and

My .30-06 (if it makes a difference it is a .30-06 springfield) is shooting erratically. Sometimes it is shooting right on, and others the shots will be twelve inches away from each other. I have never had a group better than 5 or 6 inches. All this is at about 50 yards. There have been 3 different people that have shot it, and I know I am not the best shot, but when other people shoot it, they get the same groups. I shoot 165 grain core-lokts. What could be the problem? Could it be ammo related? What tests could I do to find out/rule out that is was a certain problem?

What type of rifle is it?

Comment

even the worst factory ammo will not group 5-6 inches at 50 yards. this is a rifle issue. id send it to a gunsmith explaining the problem.

Comment

It is a Remington 770. I know that it is a budget model, but still, it should shoot better.

Comment

Could be cheap/loose scope bases or a bad scope as well. Does the gun have a muzzle break or any other aftermarket stuff on it?

Comment

Could be cheap/loose scope bases or a bad scope as well. Does the gun have a muzzle break or any other aftermarket stuff on it?

Comment

First make sure you are shooting on a steady rest to check group size. Next the sight system has to be ruled out. Base and ring crews tight, scope no problems, etc. Next, start with a perfectly clean barrel. Take a bright light with a focused beam and look in the barrel (unloaded gun) and see if you see streaks of copper. If you do , they have to go. Next stock screws - check tightness. Tighten front screw first and then back screw. If all that fails take it to a gun smith. Nothing more you can do that I can think of.
              Unlikely fresh factory ammo is a problem for being that far off, but for grins you can try another brand. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Comment

To add to jhjimbo's suggestions, when you check for copper in the barrel also look at the rifling. If you see pits or other factors that might affect accuracy, then I would contact Remington and see if they will replace it.

Comment

It could be the scope. Hadn't thought of that. It is the exact same setup that is came from the factory. I haven't changed any parts so it is the same el cheapo scope and mounts. That could be the problem. I have no aftermarket parts on it. I also wonder if it could be a combination problem. Bad shooter (me) bad scope and a budget rifle. I don't need a super accurate rifle. I just need it to hit the vitals inside of 100 yards. I have shot 5 deer with it, none of which have been more than 70 yard shots.

Comment

I just checked the bore with a flashlight. I did see some copper in there. But I realized, I don't have a .30-06 bore scrubber. So, apparently I have never scrubbed it real good, I was just getting the gun shot residue out. I need to get me one and scrub it and see if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it we did get is zeroed pretty good the first time when a friend came over and helped us. It still wasn't great but probably what could be expected from that rifle.

Comment

If you got 5 deer so far it must have been shooting a lot closer than it is now.

Get some copper remover, they make a pressurized can with a little tube on the side of it that works well. Spray some in the bore - wait a few minutes and scrub out with a brush. Push a clean patch through. When the green color on the patch goes away, you are done and then coat with a moist patch of Rem oil.
                      Keep checking with a light to be sure.

Comment

I had a similar problem years ago with my .243 and it was the scope. It was mounted tight but I would sight it in and the next time I'd go shoot it would be off again. I replaced it and she's shot true ever since.

Comment

Had the very same thing happen to me.
                          Is your scope blown and won’t hold your zero. (most likely). It seems likes it zeros and then 10 minutes later its off again. I tended to stay with a favorite scope long after it is busted, hoping it had 1 more year.

Look at the crown. A nick on the crown from a fall will do it. A good gunsmith can re-crown it again. (That will throw it off a few minutes). A Gun smith found and repaired that one for me.

Remington’s barrels tend to go whacky when they are hot. Every 3 shots on a range let cool for 10 to 20 minutes, before continuing.

Try full copper jackets (My Remington 30-06 likes Winchesters). The nose on core lockets seem to get slanted on feeding on mine, so as they spin on the way to the target they don’t spin right and start revolving around a what should be their flight path. giving you erratic hits.

And do what the others said.

Comment

Dump the el-cheapo aluminum rings/bases. Get some steel ones. The screws will eventually become lose on aluminum. Also they are easily stripped out.

Comment

It is almost sure to be the scope. The aluminum mounts, if tight and correctly mounted, should be ok. The scope is usually not very good on the combos. They will invariably end up costing you more money in ammo and replacement than they are worth.

Severe copper fouling can open your groups some, but there are a lot of barrels that shoot better with a bit of fouling in them. I have a lot of them. If I spend a bunch of stinky-fume minutes removing every last bit if copper fouling, my 375 shoots like merde until I sent a few dollars in ammo down the tube. Same for a M70 fwt 30-06.

Get yourself a better scope, which unfortunately will cost a bit of money. Budget yourself for around $100-150 bucks minimum. 3x9 are the most popular, and therefore will be your best value. Stay away from the super magnification scopes in the bargain range for sure.

Degrease the mounting screws, blue loctite in moderation, don't try to make the screws "farmer-tight,". It's best to mount with all the specialized tools that keep the tube aligned and safe, but it can be done without. Ask if you need more help.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by dewman
                                Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                                Today, 10:55 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X