Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I picked up a 1950 Savage 99 with a Bear Cub Master scope. The mount is interesting because it has a flip up peep site that can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up a 1950 Savage 99 with a Bear Cub Master scope. The mount is interesting because it has a flip up peep site that can

I picked up a 1950 Savage 99 with a Bear Cub Master scope. The mount is interesting because it has a flip up peep site that can be used if the scope is removed. I believe it is a Stith-Kullmorgan. Does anybody know how common or reliable this is? Thanks

The Stith-Kullmorgan 4X is regularly used on the M1C and M1D sniper rifles. The Bear Cub could qualify if it physically fits the M1.
    The pop up peep sight is Savage or some other sight manufacturer like Lyman, etc.
    Is the removable mount a Griffin&Howe? Two levers to slide the mount off? That is the mount used on the M1 for the Stith-Kullmorgan type scopes.
    In the '50's there were only a few scopes approved for service by the marine corps or in competition. Stith Kullmorgan and the Lyman Alaskan were a couple of the approved.
    Nice find. Jim

Comment

I have an older Redfield (Denver, CO) one-piece base with an integrated fold-up peep at the rear of the base on centerline. It was an intelligent idea, though ideally it had to be zeroed-for elevation. This was an expensive production step. Though an attractive feature for marketing, it was dropped as a cost-cutting measure to remain competitive in pricing, especially since it was rarely needed.

Comment

coffeecupmike,
        You didn't mention what cartridge the Savage 99 you purchased is chambered for but, whatever the cartridge, I'd say you made a good choice and I hope it serves you well!

Comment

I'm not entirely awake and still on my first cup of morning coffee. I should have added that Stith-Kollmorgen's assets were acquired by Redfield in 1958. You could say they are the predecessor to Redfield Gunsight Products. Redfield also made receiver sights, front & rear sights, and I was saddened to see Redfield weakened by imports and recession. The company went through a series of transitions, but the right to the name were purchased by Leupold, and "Redfield" scopes are now manufactured under Leupold's roof in Beaverton, OR. I'd say the name deserved to survive, and the founder, John H. Redfield, would be pleased to see his name was in excellent hands.

Comment

Hey Coffeecup,
            Great Gun and Scope...what Caliber??
            Good Shooting

Comment

It is in 300, the scope is removed with a small wheel beneath the scope.

Thanks everybody

Comment

Nice find! I think the scope and mounts might be more of a collector value than current use, but it may still work fine. They were top shelf in their day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad