Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are "special" bullets really necessary? To me, it just seems a marketing ploy, in which the ammo makers charge more for some fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    rudyglove27
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I think it depends what you are hunting. Certainly for deer, almost anything works if you hit them in the vitals. I have used Hornady spire point no-frills bullets for deer my whole life... I've never had a problem and have only recovered one that did not penetrate completely (that was an end-to-end shot with many broken bones and the bullet caught in the hide on the exit). The bigger the animal and the tougher the hide, the more important it is to pay for a premium bullet that will retain its weight for even better penetration. Another reason to use a premium bullets like a Barnes is when you want to shoot a size smaller weight bullet at higher speed and still get the same level of penetration you enjoyed with the heavier lead bullet for a little flatter trajectory.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I bet more deer have expired due to a dose of W-W Power Points or Remington Core Lokt's than all others combined. That PP is probably an OK elk load at moderate to long ranges. If hit in the vitals, it will expire. A friend of mine shoots a .270 WSM and it never fails to kill deer and elk! I think he uses that load or a Hornady's. He is also a crack shot, btw. His ammo looked like plain soft points to me.

I like my uber-bullets, mainly because I can!

Leave a comment:

• rocketman121
    ⭐⭐

• rocketman121
    replied
    True, but if you have a product that works for you, why change? On paper, I had several 3 shot groups under 1 inch.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Skimping on bullets is like buying 99 cent fishing line to go on your $100 reel......

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• steve182
    replied
    I buy quality ammo, mostly Hornady and Federal Premium, but with the recent price increases and lack of availability, I bought several boxes of cheaper, no frills bullets. If they shoot well in my gun, i'll use them. If i do my part, the deer won't know the diff!

Leave a comment:

• rocketman121
    ⭐⭐

• rocketman121
    replied
    I have a Whethrby Vanguard. It's a great rifle. Happy Myles, I hope I can hunt in Africa some day.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Del in KS
    replied
    Skimping on ammo is akin to skimping on your scope and rings. These are relatively inexpensive things that are very important to the success of your hunt. Find another place to save a buck. Like use a Marlin XL-7, Wby Vanguard or Savage 111 rifle instead of Kimber, Weatherby Mk V or Sako.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Good post by all. As usual, learned some things. A 165 Hawk, new to me.
    Rocketman121 - Good luck on your mission. . I'm sure you are aware there is no hunting in Kenya, so find some time to hunt elsewhere in Africa. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I agree that the exterior coatings probably don't contribute to performance much at all. A good bonded core or all copper bullet might be worth your while.

If you are happy with the performance of the bullet you are using, why pay more? I'm happy with the premium loads that I use and I can assure you that I'm not about to skimp on $40 - $50 worth of ammo on a $3,000 hunting trip! False economy there.

I bet that 165 Hawk is no speed demon either in a .270.... That is the strong point of a .270, high velocity.

Just goes to show you that no matter what, somebody will come up with something different!

Leave a comment:

• rocketman121
    ⭐⭐

• rocketman121
    replied
    I have been saving my casings for reloading, but haven't saved up enough for the gear. I'm currently saving for a mission trip to Kenya, and since it isn't hunting season, hunting gear is on the back-burner.

Beekeeper, thanks for the info. I might look into getting those some time, but currently, I'm pleased with my rounds' performance.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Beekeeper
    replied
    If you would like to load a 165 grain bullet in your .270 WSM they are available from Hawk Bullets. See the evaluations below:

". . . we found that the 165 grain Hawk Bullet which I used for the second time that day had driven up into the (huge kudu bull’s) chest after punching a fist-sized hole into the body."

Bullet Evaluation
    270 cal. 165 gr. Hawk RT

Bushbuck - Range 100 yds.: Bullet passed through leaving wide wound channel and 3" x 2-1/2" exit that bled freely.

Kudu - Range 100 yds.: Bullets gave deep penetration with wide wound channels, were not recovered.

— Terence S. Underwood
    ".270 Winchester in Africa"
    Hunting Horizons

Leave a comment:

• Hunter Savage
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Hunter Savage
    replied
    if price is an issue why not look in to rolling your own . after you get the equipment,you can shave some bucks off the price of premium ammo and work up pet loads for your rifles . you can get some beginner out fits for a reasonable price. they have all you need to start out minus the powder, primers, and bullets . rcbs has some great package deals to start you out , and you will get quality stuff

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    WA Mtnhunter

I was scratching my head over that one!

There is some pretty radical stuff out there and since they make 30 cal 250 grain then why should a 270 cal 165 grain surprise me!

Leave a comment:

• rocketman121
    ⭐⭐

• rocketman121
    replied
    Ok, thank you for catching that. This is my round: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=464054. I was mistaken. By standard, I meant it has no "special" coatings (like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=380525)or special shapes, ect. Does that make sense?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad