Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are "special" bullets really necessary? To me, it just seems a marketing ploy, in which the ammo makers charge more for some fe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are "special" bullets really necessary? To me, it just seems a marketing ploy, in which the ammo makers charge more for some fe

Are "special" bullets really necessary? To me, it just seems a marketing ploy, in which the ammo makers charge more for some feature. As far as the kill is concerned, 165 grains of lead is 165 grains of lead, no matter what shape, coating, ect. I shoot standard .270 WSM 165 gr. Winchester soft-points.

MY GOD!

DAR IS LIFE OUT DAR!

Dad on the money rocketman121

Comment

Sometimes "regular" bullets fail. Sometimes they don't penetrate well. Sometimes they don't expand properly. Sometimes they aren't that accurate. There is more in the world to shoot than deer.

Comment

Actually, I think this is a great question. I can only think some subtle differences make a difference in hunting different game.

I mean... when monoplanes began outperforming, biplanes, they became the standard. Sloped front ends on cars for better aerodynamics/mileage? Standard

Eventually, the best design for something, after they work the bugs out, becomes the general shape/form/operation for the whole (item).

So how about bullets? If a boat-tail is so much better, then why isn't every round a boat-tail?

Comment

do you need one no not really in most cases, dead is dead . but in some instances advanced bullets are a good choice . you need better penetration (jacket design, thickness)
          , you need the bullet to stay together better,( maybe an all copper or bonded bullet ) you are shooting long range and need top performance than you will want a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient .
          and on and on you can drive yourself nuts some times with it . but remember variety is the spice of life and it is fun to experiment .

Comment

I’ve recovered a more specialty bullets that failed to perform as advertised than none!

Comment

Well, there is always the cost factor too. A box of my .270's costs $30.99; whereas special bullets cost upwards of $45.00 a box. Yes, there are other things to hunt, but there aren't a whole lot of options in east Texas.

Comment

Rocketman121

I think you are sadly mistaken. Winchester does not make a .270 WSM 165 grain softpoint according to their catalog, nor does anyone else make a 'standard' 165 grain .277 bullet.......

Clay, I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

WMH

Comment

Shane and Cooner have answered this succinctly.
                  One think that has always puzzled me is the person who will spend a fortune on a hunting trip of a life time, and then skimp on quality of ammo and practice time at the range. Two elements, in the whole scheme of things that that may mean success or time spent tracking wounded animals.

Comment

WA Mtnhunter
                    Good catch

Comment

Ok, thank you for catching that. This is my round: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=464054. I was mistaken. By standard, I meant it has no "special" coatings (like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=380525)or special shapes, ect. Does that make sense?

Comment

WA Mtnhunter

I was scratching my head over that one!

There is some pretty radical stuff out there and since they make 30 cal 250 grain then why should a 270 cal 165 grain surprise me!

Comment

if price is an issue why not look in to rolling your own . after you get the equipment,you can shave some bucks off the price of premium ammo and work up pet loads for your rifles . you can get some beginner out fits for a reasonable price. they have all you need to start out minus the powder, primers, and bullets . rcbs has some great package deals to start you out , and you will get quality stuff

Comment

If you would like to load a 165 grain bullet in your .270 WSM they are available from Hawk Bullets. See the evaluations below:

". . . we found that the 165 grain Hawk Bullet which I used for the second time that day had driven up into the (huge kudu bull’s) chest after punching a fist-sized hole into the body."

Bullet Evaluation
                            270 cal. 165 gr. Hawk RT

Bushbuck - Range 100 yds.: Bullet passed through leaving wide wound channel and 3" x 2-1/2" exit that bled freely.

Kudu - Range 100 yds.: Bullets gave deep penetration with wide wound channels, were not recovered.

— Terence S. Underwood
                            ".270 Winchester in Africa"
                            Hunting Horizons

Comment

I have been saving my casings for reloading, but haven't saved up enough for the gear. I'm currently saving for a mission trip to Kenya, and since it isn't hunting season, hunting gear is on the back-burner.

Beekeeper, thanks for the info. I might look into getting those some time, but currently, I'm pleased with my rounds' performance.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                                Today, 11:19 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X